Unemployment Report Weighs on Gold and Silver
By Eric McWhinnie | October 6, 2012 7:01 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery decreased $15.70 to settle at $1,780.80 per ounce. Silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures fell 53 cents to close at $34.57. Gold finished higher on the week, while silver ended unchanged.
Both precious metals traded lower on Friday after the unemployment rate in the United States came in better than expected. The Labor Department reported that the rate dropped to 7.8 percent, previously at 8.1 percent. It was the first time below 8 percent in 44 months, and below estimates of 8.2 percent.
However, investors should heed warning that the U-6 unemployment rate, which includes underemployed and discouraged workers, remained unchanged at a whopping 14.7 percent. Furthermore, the economy added only 114,000 new jobs, far below the level of a healthy economy.
By the end of the trading day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) finished 0.57 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) fell 1.41 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) edged 0.45 percent and 0.69 percent lower, respectively. Silver names such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) both declined more than 1 percent.
Primero Mining (NYSE:PPP) shares surged 36 percent higher on Friday. The junior miner announced that it received a positive ruling from Mexican tax authorities in regards to how it reports silver revenues. The decision allows Primero to record silver revenue and taxes from its San Dimas gold mine at the realized silver price, as opposed to the spot price. This will lead to large savings as the company has a deal to sell silver to Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) until August 2014 at a price for as little as about $4 per ounce.
Investor Insight: Gold: A Put Against the Idiocy of the Political Cycle
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display