Unemployment Report Weighs on Gold and Silver
By Eric McWhinnie | October 6, 2012 7:01 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery decreased $15.70 to settle at $1,780.80 per ounce. Silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures fell 53 cents to close at $34.57. Gold finished higher on the week, while silver ended unchanged.
Both precious metals traded lower on Friday after the unemployment rate in the United States came in better than expected. The Labor Department reported that the rate dropped to 7.8 percent, previously at 8.1 percent. It was the first time below 8 percent in 44 months, and below estimates of 8.2 percent.
However, investors should heed warning that the U-6 unemployment rate, which includes underemployed and discouraged workers, remained unchanged at a whopping 14.7 percent. Furthermore, the economy added only 114,000 new jobs, far below the level of a healthy economy.
By the end of the trading day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) finished 0.57 percent lower, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) fell 1.41 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) edged 0.45 percent and 0.69 percent lower, respectively. Silver names such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) both declined more than 1 percent.
Primero Mining (NYSE:PPP) shares surged 36 percent higher on Friday. The junior miner announced that it received a positive ruling from Mexican tax authorities in regards to how it reports silver revenues. The decision allows Primero to record silver revenue and taxes from its San Dimas gold mine at the realized silver price, as opposed to the spot price. This will lead to large savings as the company has a deal to sell silver to Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) until August 2014 at a price for as little as about $4 per ounce.
Investor Insight: Gold: A Put Against the Idiocy of the Political Cycle
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]