Kristen Stewart Makes Variety’s 2012 Women’s Impact List
October 6, 2012 6:20 AM EST
Kristen Stewart was included in Variety’s Women’s Impact Report 2012 for her role in the box office hit “Snow White and the Huntsman.”
The 22-year-old “Twilight” sensation made the weekly trade magazine’s Kickin’ A-List, which “highlights femmes who have had a particularly game-changing year in their spheres”
Variety praised Stewart for her fierce portrayal of Snow White in the dark reimaging of the fairy tale. The actress stars as an orphan who escapes from captivity by the evil Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) and leads an army to restore peace to her homeland.
According to Variety, “in a year where Snow White could be found in many forms on the screen ... Stewart made the character her own with a steely version of the apple-loving beauty.”
Stewart joins “The Amazing Spider Man” star Emma Stone and “The Dark Knight Rises” beauty Marion Cotillard, who also made the list.
The list also recognizes female TV executives, writers, lawyers, agents and marketing mavens. Writer/director/actress Lena Dunham made the Creatives list, while E.L James and the team that helped make “Fifty Shades of Grey” a phenomenon earned a special mention.
Stewart’s role in “Huntsman” may be considered a departure from her previous work, which includes understated indie dramas like “Into the Wild” and “The Runaways.”
The actress was one of the few women to carry a film in a summer blockbuster season dominated by superhero movies, sequels and reboots, which mostly starred men.
Stewart will soon be seen in two vastly different films. In November, she’ll star in the final “Twilight” installment, “Breaking Dawn: Part 2.” The following month, Stewart will portray Marylou, a suffering 16-year-old bride, in the long-awaited drama “On the Road.” The film, which debuted at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, is an adaptation of Jack Kerouac’s classic road trip tale that is considered the definitive illustration of the beatnik era.
Early reviews have praised Stewart for her performance in the film, which features risqué scenes that include nudity and drug use. The Hollywood Reporter’s Todd McCarthy noted that the actress is “perfect in the role.”
Her brave performance in the film prompted the Huffington Post’s Michael Hogan to ask, “Is Kristen Stewart the only major celebrity of her generation who also happens to be a true artist?”
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the actress is attached to star in the drama “Lie Down in Darkness,” an adaptation of William Styron’s 1951 novel of the same name.
“Breaking Dawn: Part 2” will debut on Nov. 16. “On the Road” is set to hit theaters on Dec. 22.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu