Kristen Stewart Makes Variety’s 2012 Women’s Impact List
October 6, 2012 6:20 AM EST
Kristen Stewart was included in Variety’s Women’s Impact Report 2012 for her role in the box office hit “Snow White and the Huntsman.”
The 22-year-old “Twilight” sensation made the weekly trade magazine’s Kickin’ A-List, which “highlights femmes who have had a particularly game-changing year in their spheres”
Variety praised Stewart for her fierce portrayal of Snow White in the dark reimaging of the fairy tale. The actress stars as an orphan who escapes from captivity by the evil Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) and leads an army to restore peace to her homeland.
According to Variety, “in a year where Snow White could be found in many forms on the screen ... Stewart made the character her own with a steely version of the apple-loving beauty.”
Stewart joins “The Amazing Spider Man” star Emma Stone and “The Dark Knight Rises” beauty Marion Cotillard, who also made the list.
The list also recognizes female TV executives, writers, lawyers, agents and marketing mavens. Writer/director/actress Lena Dunham made the Creatives list, while E.L James and the team that helped make “Fifty Shades of Grey” a phenomenon earned a special mention.
Stewart’s role in “Huntsman” may be considered a departure from her previous work, which includes understated indie dramas like “Into the Wild” and “The Runaways.”
The actress was one of the few women to carry a film in a summer blockbuster season dominated by superhero movies, sequels and reboots, which mostly starred men.
Stewart will soon be seen in two vastly different films. In November, she’ll star in the final “Twilight” installment, “Breaking Dawn: Part 2.” The following month, Stewart will portray Marylou, a suffering 16-year-old bride, in the long-awaited drama “On the Road.” The film, which debuted at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, is an adaptation of Jack Kerouac’s classic road trip tale that is considered the definitive illustration of the beatnik era.
Early reviews have praised Stewart for her performance in the film, which features risqué scenes that include nudity and drug use. The Hollywood Reporter’s Todd McCarthy noted that the actress is “perfect in the role.”
Her brave performance in the film prompted the Huffington Post’s Michael Hogan to ask, “Is Kristen Stewart the only major celebrity of her generation who also happens to be a true artist?”
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the actress is attached to star in the drama “Lie Down in Darkness,” an adaptation of William Styron’s 1951 novel of the same name.
“Breaking Dawn: Part 2” will debut on Nov. 16. “On the Road” is set to hit theaters on Dec. 22.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’