Dallas Cowboys News: Dez Bryant Dishonoring No. 88
October 6, 2012 4:34 AM EST
Many have called out the Dallas Cowboys for their lackluster start to the 2012 season, and the pile on continued Wednesday.
Now a former player has voiced his disapproval, with former three-time Pro Bowl receiver Drew Pearson calling out Dez Bryant for his poor play this season and defaming the proud Cowboys’ No. 88.
Pearson, who is in the Dallas Ring of Honor and won a Super Bowl in 1978, was the original bearer of the now-prestigious number, and Hall of Famer Michael Irvin later wore it during his career.
The three-time first-team All-Pro spoke to the media after giving a motivational speech at a local Odessa, Texas high school.
“He’s not living up to the expectations that were placed on him by wearing that number,” Pearson said to the Midland Reporter-Telegram. “Drew Pearson took it to the Ring of Honor level and Michael Irvin took it way beyond that to the Hall of Fame level.
“When Michael and I had a chance to talk to Dez when he came in his rookie year we told him, ‘Don’t do what Drew Pearson did in it. Don’t do what Michael did in it. Do more than that.’ I know that’s a lot to live up to, but what else is there? You live up to those expectations and people will cherish you for the rest of your life.”
Pearson's comments come on the heels of Dallas' 34-18 drubbing at the hands of the Chicago Bears Monday. Bryant did make eight catches for 105 yards in the loss, but his miscommunication with quarterback Tony Romo led to Bears' interception return for a touchdown, and the Cowboys never recovered.
Bryant has yet to score a touchdown this season, despite the considerable talents that made him the Cowboys first round pick in the 2010 draft. He has 21 receptions for 269 yards after four games, but has created controversy throughout his three-year career.
After 23-year-old was accused of misdemeanor assault by his mother in July, Dallas created a set of behavior guidelines, later dubbed the “Dez Rules”, that the receiver must abide by, like a midnight curfew and a restriction on certain clubs he can visit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install