Dallas Cowboys News: Dez Bryant Dishonoring No. 88
October 6, 2012 4:34 AM EST
Many have called out the Dallas Cowboys for their lackluster start to the 2012 season, and the pile on continued Wednesday.
Now a former player has voiced his disapproval, with former three-time Pro Bowl receiver Drew Pearson calling out Dez Bryant for his poor play this season and defaming the proud Cowboys’ No. 88.
Pearson, who is in the Dallas Ring of Honor and won a Super Bowl in 1978, was the original bearer of the now-prestigious number, and Hall of Famer Michael Irvin later wore it during his career.
The three-time first-team All-Pro spoke to the media after giving a motivational speech at a local Odessa, Texas high school.
“He’s not living up to the expectations that were placed on him by wearing that number,” Pearson said to the Midland Reporter-Telegram. “Drew Pearson took it to the Ring of Honor level and Michael Irvin took it way beyond that to the Hall of Fame level.
“When Michael and I had a chance to talk to Dez when he came in his rookie year we told him, ‘Don’t do what Drew Pearson did in it. Don’t do what Michael did in it. Do more than that.’ I know that’s a lot to live up to, but what else is there? You live up to those expectations and people will cherish you for the rest of your life.”
Pearson's comments come on the heels of Dallas' 34-18 drubbing at the hands of the Chicago Bears Monday. Bryant did make eight catches for 105 yards in the loss, but his miscommunication with quarterback Tony Romo led to Bears' interception return for a touchdown, and the Cowboys never recovered.
Bryant has yet to score a touchdown this season, despite the considerable talents that made him the Cowboys first round pick in the 2010 draft. He has 21 receptions for 269 yards after four games, but has created controversy throughout his three-year career.
After 23-year-old was accused of misdemeanor assault by his mother in July, Dallas created a set of behavior guidelines, later dubbed the “Dez Rules”, that the receiver must abide by, like a midnight curfew and a restriction on certain clubs he can visit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones