Dallas Cowboys News: Dez Bryant Dishonoring No. 88
October 6, 2012 4:34 AM EST
Many have called out the Dallas Cowboys for their lackluster start to the 2012 season, and the pile on continued Wednesday.
Now a former player has voiced his disapproval, with former three-time Pro Bowl receiver Drew Pearson calling out Dez Bryant for his poor play this season and defaming the proud Cowboys’ No. 88.
Pearson, who is in the Dallas Ring of Honor and won a Super Bowl in 1978, was the original bearer of the now-prestigious number, and Hall of Famer Michael Irvin later wore it during his career.
The three-time first-team All-Pro spoke to the media after giving a motivational speech at a local Odessa, Texas high school.
“He’s not living up to the expectations that were placed on him by wearing that number,” Pearson said to the Midland Reporter-Telegram. “Drew Pearson took it to the Ring of Honor level and Michael Irvin took it way beyond that to the Hall of Fame level.
“When Michael and I had a chance to talk to Dez when he came in his rookie year we told him, ‘Don’t do what Drew Pearson did in it. Don’t do what Michael did in it. Do more than that.’ I know that’s a lot to live up to, but what else is there? You live up to those expectations and people will cherish you for the rest of your life.”
Pearson's comments come on the heels of Dallas' 34-18 drubbing at the hands of the Chicago Bears Monday. Bryant did make eight catches for 105 yards in the loss, but his miscommunication with quarterback Tony Romo led to Bears' interception return for a touchdown, and the Cowboys never recovered.
Bryant has yet to score a touchdown this season, despite the considerable talents that made him the Cowboys first round pick in the 2010 draft. He has 21 receptions for 269 yards after four games, but has created controversy throughout his three-year career.
After 23-year-old was accused of misdemeanor assault by his mother in July, Dallas created a set of behavior guidelines, later dubbed the “Dez Rules”, that the receiver must abide by, like a midnight curfew and a restriction on certain clubs he can visit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists