St. Louis Cardinals vs. Atlanta Braves: Where to Watch Live Stream Online, Prediction, Preview, Betting Odds
October 6, 2012 4:22 AM EST
The 2012 MLB playoffs are set to get underway on Friday afternoon.
The St. Louis Cardinals visit the Atlanta Braves in the first ever wild card round of the baseball postseason. The Texas Rangers will play the Baltimore Orioles at 8:30 p.m. in the American League wild card game.
First pitch is set for 5:07 p.m. ET at Turner Field. If you can’t get to a TV, you can watch a live stream online at mlb.com for $4.99.
The winner of this matchup will play the Washington Nationals in the NLDS. The first game of that series is scheduled for Sunday at 3 p.m. ET.
Both teams enter the game fairly hot, having won seven of their last 10. With 94 wins on the year, Atlanta clinched a wild card berth with over a week remaining in the season. St. Louis didn’t get in until Tuesday night.
Atlanta enters the contest with the pitching advantage, as Kris Medlen takes the hill for the Braves. Medlen may have been the best starter in the majors in the final two months of the season. He entered the rotation on July 31, and has been unbeatable ever since, pitching to a 0.97 ERA in 12 starts. The Braves won all those contests.
The Cardinals are also sending a tough pitcher to the mound. Kyle Lohse finished the season at 16-3 with a 2.86 ERA. He performed poorly in his one start against the Braves this year, allowing five runs in five innings.
Despite losing Albert Pujols, the Cardinals were able to make the playoffs on the strength of their offense. They finished second in the National League in runs scored, led by Matt Holliday and his 102 RBI.
The Braves pitching was the best in the NL after the All-Star break. Atlanta pitchers registered a 2.87 ERA in the second half of the season. Closer Craig Kimbrel was dominant, throwing 116 strikeouts in less than 63 innings.
If Atlanta can’t come away with the victory, it will be the last game of Chipper Jones’ career. The veteran announced in March that he’ll retire at the end of the year. He finished his final season with a .287 batting average, 14 home runs and 62 RBI.
Betting Line: Atlanta-170, St. Louis+160
Prediction: This should be a close game and could be one that comes down to the last inning. The Cardinals will be one of the tougher lineups that Medlen has faced in 2012. However, with a virtually unhittable starter and the edge at closer, the Braves should be able to advance to the NLDS.
Predicted Score: Atlanta 3, St. Louis 2
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone