Brittany Murphy Remembered At ‘Clueless’ Reunion
By Jill Heller | October 6, 2012 2:56 AM EST
It’s been 17 years since the release of iconic cult film “Clueless,” a surprising box office hit that catapulted its young cast of actors into the spotlight, and last month the cast joined Entertainment Weekly for a special series of long overdue cast reunions.
Alicia Silverstone, who had her first breakout role in the film, starring as Beverly Hills' Queen Bee Cher Horowitz, revealed that she was initially hesitant about signing on board for the role. After reading the script, Silverstone said she was completely turned off by the character and felt she simply couldn’t relate to her.
“I thought, ‘Who is this girl?’” said Silverstone. “I had nothing in common with her at all. I thought she was a materialistic, annoying little b---h.”
Silverstone, who claims she had no understanding of fashion at the time despite portraying a fashion-fiend, said that at the time the frequent costume changes seemed to be excessive and unnecessary.
“I had to do 60 changes … and I was so tired and I had to keep having fittings so I kind of hated them,” she said. “I hated the clothes. I just didn’t get it. Then when I saw the movie I was like, ‘I understand!’ …. I was ‘clueless’ about what was going on.”
Silverstone’s costars agreed that the movie was in many ways ahead of its time. “It started a trend,” said Stacey Dash, who played Horowitz’s sidekick Dionne. “[‘Clueless’ was] the first one with a voice-over about girls in high school and …. just knowing what they wanted and what they liked.”
“It started all of our careers,” added Donald Faison, who plays Dionne immature boyfriend Murray. “It definitely started, kick started mine. I was able to go on to other things because of this movie.”
Noticeably absent from the reunion, however, was Brittany Murphy, who also got a tremendous kick start to her career by playing the super friendly, if a little "clueless," new girl at school. Murphy passed away in 2009, at the age of 32, from a combination of pneumonia and drug overdose, and her costars took time out during their reunion to remember her.
Murphy, who starred as Tai, an oblivious but sweet transfer student who receives a charitable make over from Cher and Dionne and quickly becomes one of the most popular girls in their high school. And according to her costars, her bubbly attitude wasn’t confined to the silver screen.
“She was so, so, so genuinely sweet,” added Justin Walker, who played Christian. “For a week I couldn’t believe it was real.”
“Is there a certain memory that you go to, when you think of her and your time spent on ‘Clueless’?” asked host Rachel Smith. “Her laugh,” answered Alicia Silverstone. “Contagious,” chimed in Stacey Dash.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’