Is Charlize Theron’s Childhood Home Haunted After Her Mother Shot & Killed Her Father 20 Years Ago?
By Maria Vultaggio | October 6, 2012 2:57 AM EST
Charlize Theron’s childhood home in South Africa might be haunted after a grisly murder took place at its residence for the second time.
The house, which is located in Benoni near Johannesburg, is where the Oscar winner’s mother Gerda Martiz shot Theron’s abusive father dead in self-defense in 1991 when she was only 15 years old, the glamorous actress explained in an interview with ABC's Diane Saywer.
More than 20 years later a murder investigation is taking place at the home again after a brutal murder took place, reported Sowetan Live.
Barry Newland, the most recent person to live in Theron’s childhood home, was reportedly killed by a gang of five robbers on Friday.
The men told Newland they wanted to look at one of the cars the victim repaired and sold from his home-based business in order to gain access to his property.
Newland’s hired help allowed the men in, but they were then forced into a room where they were tied up. The intruders bound and gagged Newland and then put a plastic bag over his head until he suffocated to death.
But the torture didn’t stop there-- he was burned with cigarettes and a clothes iron, according to Police Spokeswoman Lieutenant Nomsa Sekel.
The gang then stole a cell phone, laptop, two cameras, iPod and a gold chain during the attack.
No one has been arrested yet and police officials are still investigating the case.
The “Snow White and the Huntsman” star recently spoke about the horror she and her mother experienced at their South African home. For years she never told the truth about what happened to her father out of fear of what they would think about her family.
"I think, for me, it took a long time to sink in, what had really happened because you just don’t think stuff like that will ever happen to you,” Theron told ABC News’ Diane Sawyer in 2004.
“Nature gives you instinct. And I knew something bad was going to happen,” she revealed when her father and uncle came home after a bout of drinking on June 21, 1991.
According to her mother Theron’s father said, “Tonight I’m going to kill you both with the shotgun.”
When he began to shoot into Theron’s room her mother grabbed her hand-gun and fatally shot him.
The act was determined to have been done in self-defense and Martiz was never prosecuted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks