Struggling Gunner Keeping the Faith
By Nick Howson | October 5, 2012 11:14 PM EST
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud is confident he can hit the goal trail on a permanent basis having score just once since his summer move from Montpellier.
The Frenchman scored his first goal for the club in last week's Capital One Cup tie against Coventry City, but missed a penalty in the second half.
Giroud's short time at Arsenal has been undermined by shyness in-front of goal, but the former Montpellier forward is confident his best form is just around the corner.
"I try [to score], I try all I can," he said. "Sometimes you need to keep the faith, to keep going. When you are a striker, sometimes it's difficult. I don't know why, but I do try to do the right thing.
"I think I'm a little unlucky. I'll keep going and continue to work hard in training. People say to me, 'the goal is coming soon, don't worry, we trust you' and it's very important for me to feel the support of people and my team-mates.
"We are good team. Although we lost against Chelsea I think it was an accident. We are confident for the future and I am confident. I don't worry about the future. The goals are coming soon."
The 26 year old netted 21 goals in 36 games in Ligue 1 for Montpellier last season, as they won the first domestic top flight title in the club's history.
But transferring his abilities to the Premier League has proved much tougher for Giroud, who has seen Gervinho and Lukas Podolski occupy the striking births in the early weeks of the season.
Podolski and Gervinho have scored four and five goals already this season respectively and look likely to cement their place in the Arsenal first team, ahead of Giroud.
Meanwhile, Arsenal youngster Chuks Aneka has extended his loan spell at Crewe Alexandra for another month.
The 19 year old, who was sent off against Oldham Athletic at the weekend, will stay with the Railwaymen until 12 November.
Aneke has spent loan spells at Stevenage and Preston North End having made just one professional appearance for The Gunners last term against Shrewsbury Town.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools