Struggling Gunner Keeping the Faith
By Nick Howson | October 5, 2012 11:14 PM EST
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud is confident he can hit the goal trail on a permanent basis having score just once since his summer move from Montpellier.
The Frenchman scored his first goal for the club in last week's Capital One Cup tie against Coventry City, but missed a penalty in the second half.
Giroud's short time at Arsenal has been undermined by shyness in-front of goal, but the former Montpellier forward is confident his best form is just around the corner.
"I try [to score], I try all I can," he said. "Sometimes you need to keep the faith, to keep going. When you are a striker, sometimes it's difficult. I don't know why, but I do try to do the right thing.
"I think I'm a little unlucky. I'll keep going and continue to work hard in training. People say to me, 'the goal is coming soon, don't worry, we trust you' and it's very important for me to feel the support of people and my team-mates.
"We are good team. Although we lost against Chelsea I think it was an accident. We are confident for the future and I am confident. I don't worry about the future. The goals are coming soon."
The 26 year old netted 21 goals in 36 games in Ligue 1 for Montpellier last season, as they won the first domestic top flight title in the club's history.
But transferring his abilities to the Premier League has proved much tougher for Giroud, who has seen Gervinho and Lukas Podolski occupy the striking births in the early weeks of the season.
Podolski and Gervinho have scored four and five goals already this season respectively and look likely to cement their place in the Arsenal first team, ahead of Giroud.
Meanwhile, Arsenal youngster Chuks Aneka has extended his loan spell at Crewe Alexandra for another month.
The 19 year old, who was sent off against Oldham Athletic at the weekend, will stay with the Railwaymen until 12 November.
Aneke has spent loan spells at Stevenage and Preston North End having made just one professional appearance for The Gunners last term against Shrewsbury Town.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery