Struggling Gunner Keeping the Faith
By Nick Howson | October 5, 2012 11:14 PM EST
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud is confident he can hit the goal trail on a permanent basis having score just once since his summer move from Montpellier.
The Frenchman scored his first goal for the club in last week's Capital One Cup tie against Coventry City, but missed a penalty in the second half.
Giroud's short time at Arsenal has been undermined by shyness in-front of goal, but the former Montpellier forward is confident his best form is just around the corner.
"I try [to score], I try all I can," he said. "Sometimes you need to keep the faith, to keep going. When you are a striker, sometimes it's difficult. I don't know why, but I do try to do the right thing.
"I think I'm a little unlucky. I'll keep going and continue to work hard in training. People say to me, 'the goal is coming soon, don't worry, we trust you' and it's very important for me to feel the support of people and my team-mates.
"We are good team. Although we lost against Chelsea I think it was an accident. We are confident for the future and I am confident. I don't worry about the future. The goals are coming soon."
The 26 year old netted 21 goals in 36 games in Ligue 1 for Montpellier last season, as they won the first domestic top flight title in the club's history.
But transferring his abilities to the Premier League has proved much tougher for Giroud, who has seen Gervinho and Lukas Podolski occupy the striking births in the early weeks of the season.
Podolski and Gervinho have scored four and five goals already this season respectively and look likely to cement their place in the Arsenal first team, ahead of Giroud.
Meanwhile, Arsenal youngster Chuks Aneka has extended his loan spell at Crewe Alexandra for another month.
The 19 year old, who was sent off against Oldham Athletic at the weekend, will stay with the Railwaymen until 12 November.
Aneke has spent loan spells at Stevenage and Preston North End having made just one professional appearance for The Gunners last term against Shrewsbury Town.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft