Struggling Gunner Keeping the Faith
By Nick Howson | October 5, 2012 11:14 PM EST
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud is confident he can hit the goal trail on a permanent basis having score just once since his summer move from Montpellier.
The Frenchman scored his first goal for the club in last week's Capital One Cup tie against Coventry City, but missed a penalty in the second half.
Giroud's short time at Arsenal has been undermined by shyness in-front of goal, but the former Montpellier forward is confident his best form is just around the corner.
"I try [to score], I try all I can," he said. "Sometimes you need to keep the faith, to keep going. When you are a striker, sometimes it's difficult. I don't know why, but I do try to do the right thing.
"I think I'm a little unlucky. I'll keep going and continue to work hard in training. People say to me, 'the goal is coming soon, don't worry, we trust you' and it's very important for me to feel the support of people and my team-mates.
"We are good team. Although we lost against Chelsea I think it was an accident. We are confident for the future and I am confident. I don't worry about the future. The goals are coming soon."
The 26 year old netted 21 goals in 36 games in Ligue 1 for Montpellier last season, as they won the first domestic top flight title in the club's history.
But transferring his abilities to the Premier League has proved much tougher for Giroud, who has seen Gervinho and Lukas Podolski occupy the striking births in the early weeks of the season.
Podolski and Gervinho have scored four and five goals already this season respectively and look likely to cement their place in the Arsenal first team, ahead of Giroud.
Meanwhile, Arsenal youngster Chuks Aneka has extended his loan spell at Crewe Alexandra for another month.
The 19 year old, who was sent off against Oldham Athletic at the weekend, will stay with the Railwaymen until 12 November.
Aneke has spent loan spells at Stevenage and Preston North End having made just one professional appearance for The Gunners last term against Shrewsbury Town.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border