Struggling Gunner Keeping the Faith
By Nick Howson | October 5, 2012 11:14 PM EST
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud is confident he can hit the goal trail on a permanent basis having score just once since his summer move from Montpellier.
The Frenchman scored his first goal for the club in last week's Capital One Cup tie against Coventry City, but missed a penalty in the second half.
Giroud's short time at Arsenal has been undermined by shyness in-front of goal, but the former Montpellier forward is confident his best form is just around the corner.
"I try [to score], I try all I can," he said. "Sometimes you need to keep the faith, to keep going. When you are a striker, sometimes it's difficult. I don't know why, but I do try to do the right thing.
"I think I'm a little unlucky. I'll keep going and continue to work hard in training. People say to me, 'the goal is coming soon, don't worry, we trust you' and it's very important for me to feel the support of people and my team-mates.
"We are good team. Although we lost against Chelsea I think it was an accident. We are confident for the future and I am confident. I don't worry about the future. The goals are coming soon."
The 26 year old netted 21 goals in 36 games in Ligue 1 for Montpellier last season, as they won the first domestic top flight title in the club's history.
But transferring his abilities to the Premier League has proved much tougher for Giroud, who has seen Gervinho and Lukas Podolski occupy the striking births in the early weeks of the season.
Podolski and Gervinho have scored four and five goals already this season respectively and look likely to cement their place in the Arsenal first team, ahead of Giroud.
Meanwhile, Arsenal youngster Chuks Aneka has extended his loan spell at Crewe Alexandra for another month.
The 19 year old, who was sent off against Oldham Athletic at the weekend, will stay with the Railwaymen until 12 November.
Aneke has spent loan spells at Stevenage and Preston North End having made just one professional appearance for The Gunners last term against Shrewsbury Town.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged