Arsenal Legend: Hardworking Forward Crucial to Gunners' Ambitions
By Vishnuprasad S | October 5, 2012 10:43 PM EST
Former Arsenal striker Alan Smith has expressed his delight at Gervinho's improved form in front of goal this season.
The Ivory Coast international, who joined the Gunners from Lille in 2011, did not enjoy a great first season in north London. However, the 25 year old has been impressive as the club's new centre forward this term and netted his fifth goal of the season against Olympiakos in midweek. Smith feels there is more to come from the player, as he is now familiar with English top-flight football.
"They owe a huge debt of thanks to Gervinho for his industry and desire. He dragged his team round, got the goal, made the second [for Lukas Podolski] so he was a great plus for them. He is always going to work hard, work the channels and make defenders run with him but he has added that little bit of finishing to his game," Sky Sports quoted Smith as saying.
"And he quite rightly got a standing ovation from the Arsenal fans, who have not always been his biggest supporters for the times that he has been wasting the final ball. But he is enjoying a nice little purple patch and it has come at the right time for Arsenal," the 49 year old pointed out.
Arsenal assistant coach Steve Bould also hailed Gervinho's form this season and compared the Ivorian to club legend Thierry Henry, who was also transformed from a winger to a centre forward by manager Arsene Wenger.
Smith praised the Gunners' second-half display against Olympiakos and also the club's impressive start to the new Champions League season. After two successive wins, Arsenal are at the top of Group B, two points clear of second-placed Schalke.
"All is well that ends well because they gave us a few scares and him a few scares along the way, particularly in the first half. But give the boys credit. They did defend better in the second half, I can't think of [goalkeeper Vito] Mannone having too much to do in the second half. They saw it through and it was fairly comfortable in the end. There have been a couple of Champions League games when they have had their moments defensively but with six points what more can you ask? They have given themselves a nice cushion now," Smith added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged