Motorola Vs Microsoft: German Court Rules In Favor Of Google's Motorola in Patent Lawsuit
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 5, 2012 9:45 PM EST
Regional German court in Mannheim ruled in favor of Motorola Mobility Friday in a patent case against software giant Microsoft.
This appears to be the latest victory in a series of lawsuits where it was ruled that Motorola did not infringe on Microsoft patent that enables applications to work on different handsets.
Previously, Microsoft won three patent cases against Motorola in Germany as a result smartphones with disputed technology are no longer available on German market, Reuters reported.
"This decision does not impact multiple injunctions Microsoft has already been awarded and has enforced against Motorola products in Germany," David Howard, associate general counsel at Microsoft told Reuters.
Germany has become an important market in global patent war between makers of mobile phones, tablet devices and their operating software as court actions have proved relatively cheap and quick than in other jurisdictions.
Google acquired Motorola Mobility in 2011 for $12.5 billion with an intention to use the patents to fend off legal challenges against Android platform and expand its software business. Several technology companies have invested billions in acquiring patent portfolios to be employed against rivals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide