Gold Makes New 2012 High, Miners Soar
By Eric McWhinnie | October 5, 2012 5:48 AM EST
On Thursday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $16.70 to settle at $1,796.50 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 41 cents to close at $35.10. Gold hit an intra-day high of $1,797.70, its highest level all year.
Both precious metals climbed higher as the European Central Bank left its key benchmark interest rate at a record low of 0.75 percent for a third consecutive month. Central bank president Mario Draghi also said the region’s Outright Monetary Transactions plan was ready for use, but countries would still have to apply for aid and accept the imposed conditions.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.80 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Sandstorm Gold (NYSE:SAND) and Eldorado Gold (NYSE:EGO) jumped 6 percent and 1.5 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver miners such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Coeur d’Alene Mines (NYSE:CDE) both gained more than 3 percent.
Shares of Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) popped more than 5 percent to reach a new 52-week high. The company received positive remarks by TheStreet, which reiterated its rating as a Buy, citing revenue growth and a solid financial position with reasonable debt.
Investor Insight: Gold & Silver: Protection Against the Fed’s Punch Bowl
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans