Gold Makes New 2012 High, Miners Soar
By Eric McWhinnie | October 5, 2012 5:48 AM EST
On Thursday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $16.70 to settle at $1,796.50 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 41 cents to close at $35.10. Gold hit an intra-day high of $1,797.70, its highest level all year.
Both precious metals climbed higher as the European Central Bank left its key benchmark interest rate at a record low of 0.75 percent for a third consecutive month. Central bank president Mario Draghi also said the region’s Outright Monetary Transactions plan was ready for use, but countries would still have to apply for aid and accept the imposed conditions.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.80 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Sandstorm Gold (NYSE:SAND) and Eldorado Gold (NYSE:EGO) jumped 6 percent and 1.5 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver miners such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Coeur d’Alene Mines (NYSE:CDE) both gained more than 3 percent.
Shares of Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) popped more than 5 percent to reach a new 52-week high. The company received positive remarks by TheStreet, which reiterated its rating as a Buy, citing revenue growth and a solid financial position with reasonable debt.
Investor Insight: Gold & Silver: Protection Against the Fed’s Punch Bowl
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand