Gold Makes New 2012 High, Miners Soar
By Eric McWhinnie | October 5, 2012 5:48 AM EST
On Thursday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $16.70 to settle at $1,796.50 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 41 cents to close at $35.10. Gold hit an intra-day high of $1,797.70, its highest level all year.
Both precious metals climbed higher as the European Central Bank left its key benchmark interest rate at a record low of 0.75 percent for a third consecutive month. Central bank president Mario Draghi also said the region’s Outright Monetary Transactions plan was ready for use, but countries would still have to apply for aid and accept the imposed conditions.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.80 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Sandstorm Gold (NYSE:SAND) and Eldorado Gold (NYSE:EGO) jumped 6 percent and 1.5 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver miners such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Coeur d’Alene Mines (NYSE:CDE) both gained more than 3 percent.
Shares of Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) popped more than 5 percent to reach a new 52-week high. The company received positive remarks by TheStreet, which reiterated its rating as a Buy, citing revenue growth and a solid financial position with reasonable debt.
Investor Insight: Gold & Silver: Protection Against the Fed’s Punch Bowl
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate