Gold Makes New 2012 High, Miners Soar
By Eric McWhinnie | October 5, 2012 5:48 AM EST
On Thursday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $16.70 to settle at $1,796.50 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 41 cents to close at $35.10. Gold hit an intra-day high of $1,797.70, its highest level all year.
Both precious metals climbed higher as the European Central Bank left its key benchmark interest rate at a record low of 0.75 percent for a third consecutive month. Central bank president Mario Draghi also said the region’s Outright Monetary Transactions plan was ready for use, but countries would still have to apply for aid and accept the imposed conditions.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.80 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Sandstorm Gold (NYSE:SAND) and Eldorado Gold (NYSE:EGO) jumped 6 percent and 1.5 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver miners such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Coeur d’Alene Mines (NYSE:CDE) both gained more than 3 percent.
Shares of Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) popped more than 5 percent to reach a new 52-week high. The company received positive remarks by TheStreet, which reiterated its rating as a Buy, citing revenue growth and a solid financial position with reasonable debt.
Investor Insight: Gold & Silver: Protection Against the Fed’s Punch Bowl
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon