Gold Makes New 2012 High, Miners Soar
By Eric McWhinnie | October 5, 2012 5:48 AM EST
On Thursday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $16.70 to settle at $1,796.50 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 41 cents to close at $35.10. Gold hit an intra-day high of $1,797.70, its highest level all year.
Both precious metals climbed higher as the European Central Bank left its key benchmark interest rate at a record low of 0.75 percent for a third consecutive month. Central bank president Mario Draghi also said the region’s Outright Monetary Transactions plan was ready for use, but countries would still have to apply for aid and accept the imposed conditions.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.80 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Sandstorm Gold (NYSE:SAND) and Eldorado Gold (NYSE:EGO) jumped 6 percent and 1.5 percent, respectively. Meanwhile, silver miners such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Coeur d’Alene Mines (NYSE:CDE) both gained more than 3 percent.
Shares of Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) popped more than 5 percent to reach a new 52-week high. The company received positive remarks by TheStreet, which reiterated its rating as a Buy, citing revenue growth and a solid financial position with reasonable debt.
Investor Insight: Gold & Silver: Protection Against the Fed’s Punch Bowl
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid