Mariah Carey Tells Barbara Walters Nicki Minaj Threatened to Shoot Her
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 5, 2012 5:52 AM EST
A little diva feuding is to be expected on reality shows with celebrity panels, like "American Idol." But the celebrity feud between "American Idol" hosts Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj has apparently gotten so far out of hand that Carey recently told Barbara Walters she fears for her safety.
Tabloids have been reporting on a feud between the two pop stars since before Minaj was even officially introduced as a host, but the rumors reached new heights this week when a leaked video showing Minaj going on a rant against Carey was uploaded online.
The allegations became even more serious on Wednesday, when TMZ reported that Minaj had targeted Mariah with a death threat. According to sources who were allegedly on set when the altercation went down, Minaj stormed off and multiple people overheard her say, “If I had a gun I would shoot her.”
Nigel Lythgoe, a producer for “American Idol,” spoke to TMZ and called the allegations totally false. "The statement [that Nicki made a death threat] is absolute rubbish. It's absolutely not true in any way, shape or form,” said Lythgoe.
He added that Carey approached Minaj the following morning, and when asked if she had indeed made the threat, Minaj denied it.
But on “The View” Thursday, Barbara Walters said she had interviewed Carey earlier that morning and Carey had confirmed the rumors. According to Walters, Carey said she “doesn’t feel comfortable emotionally” on the show, but will continue and has hired additional security.
Minaj immediately responded to the allegations over Twitter on Thursday, writing, “I don't call tmz n Barbara Walters cuz I stand on my own two feet. Never needed an army. God is good. Insecurity is as cruel as the grave.”
Minaj also complained that Walters had not sought a statement from her side. “I thought we resolved it yesterday but I see u want ur pity party to continue. So I'm bout to po dot tea,” she added later.
Carey’s husband, Nick Cannon, said she kept calm throughout the argument. “My wife is the strongest and classiest woman that I’ve ever met. If you watch the video, she just maintains her composure. I don’t think she’s moved by the theatrics and pageantry of it all. She signed up to do a job to help young people. This is like a sidebar. I hope that’s not what this show becomes, about the cat fights,” said Cannon, ABC reported.
“At the end of the day, she’s a mom and that’s my wife,” he said. “We got diapers to change and kids to raise.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June