Mariah Carey Tells Barbara Walters Nicki Minaj Threatened to Shoot Her
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 5, 2012 5:52 AM EST
A little diva feuding is to be expected on reality shows with celebrity panels, like "American Idol." But the celebrity feud between "American Idol" hosts Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj has apparently gotten so far out of hand that Carey recently told Barbara Walters she fears for her safety.
Tabloids have been reporting on a feud between the two pop stars since before Minaj was even officially introduced as a host, but the rumors reached new heights this week when a leaked video showing Minaj going on a rant against Carey was uploaded online.
The allegations became even more serious on Wednesday, when TMZ reported that Minaj had targeted Mariah with a death threat. According to sources who were allegedly on set when the altercation went down, Minaj stormed off and multiple people overheard her say, “If I had a gun I would shoot her.”
Nigel Lythgoe, a producer for “American Idol,” spoke to TMZ and called the allegations totally false. "The statement [that Nicki made a death threat] is absolute rubbish. It's absolutely not true in any way, shape or form,” said Lythgoe.
He added that Carey approached Minaj the following morning, and when asked if she had indeed made the threat, Minaj denied it.
But on “The View” Thursday, Barbara Walters said she had interviewed Carey earlier that morning and Carey had confirmed the rumors. According to Walters, Carey said she “doesn’t feel comfortable emotionally” on the show, but will continue and has hired additional security.
Minaj immediately responded to the allegations over Twitter on Thursday, writing, “I don't call tmz n Barbara Walters cuz I stand on my own two feet. Never needed an army. God is good. Insecurity is as cruel as the grave.”
Minaj also complained that Walters had not sought a statement from her side. “I thought we resolved it yesterday but I see u want ur pity party to continue. So I'm bout to po dot tea,” she added later.
Carey’s husband, Nick Cannon, said she kept calm throughout the argument. “My wife is the strongest and classiest woman that I’ve ever met. If you watch the video, she just maintains her composure. I don’t think she’s moved by the theatrics and pageantry of it all. She signed up to do a job to help young people. This is like a sidebar. I hope that’s not what this show becomes, about the cat fights,” said Cannon, ABC reported.
“At the end of the day, she’s a mom and that’s my wife,” he said. “We got diapers to change and kids to raise.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch