Mariah Carey Tells Barbara Walters Nicki Minaj Threatened to Shoot Her
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 5, 2012 5:52 AM EST
A little diva feuding is to be expected on reality shows with celebrity panels, like "American Idol." But the celebrity feud between "American Idol" hosts Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj has apparently gotten so far out of hand that Carey recently told Barbara Walters she fears for her safety.
Tabloids have been reporting on a feud between the two pop stars since before Minaj was even officially introduced as a host, but the rumors reached new heights this week when a leaked video showing Minaj going on a rant against Carey was uploaded online.
The allegations became even more serious on Wednesday, when TMZ reported that Minaj had targeted Mariah with a death threat. According to sources who were allegedly on set when the altercation went down, Minaj stormed off and multiple people overheard her say, “If I had a gun I would shoot her.”
Nigel Lythgoe, a producer for “American Idol,” spoke to TMZ and called the allegations totally false. "The statement [that Nicki made a death threat] is absolute rubbish. It's absolutely not true in any way, shape or form,” said Lythgoe.
He added that Carey approached Minaj the following morning, and when asked if she had indeed made the threat, Minaj denied it.
But on “The View” Thursday, Barbara Walters said she had interviewed Carey earlier that morning and Carey had confirmed the rumors. According to Walters, Carey said she “doesn’t feel comfortable emotionally” on the show, but will continue and has hired additional security.
Minaj immediately responded to the allegations over Twitter on Thursday, writing, “I don't call tmz n Barbara Walters cuz I stand on my own two feet. Never needed an army. God is good. Insecurity is as cruel as the grave.”
Minaj also complained that Walters had not sought a statement from her side. “I thought we resolved it yesterday but I see u want ur pity party to continue. So I'm bout to po dot tea,” she added later.
Carey’s husband, Nick Cannon, said she kept calm throughout the argument. “My wife is the strongest and classiest woman that I’ve ever met. If you watch the video, she just maintains her composure. I don’t think she’s moved by the theatrics and pageantry of it all. She signed up to do a job to help young people. This is like a sidebar. I hope that’s not what this show becomes, about the cat fights,” said Cannon, ABC reported.
“At the end of the day, she’s a mom and that’s my wife,” he said. “We got diapers to change and kids to raise.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report