Mariah Carey Tells Barbara Walters Nicki Minaj Threatened to Shoot Her
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 5, 2012 5:52 AM EST
A little diva feuding is to be expected on reality shows with celebrity panels, like "American Idol." But the celebrity feud between "American Idol" hosts Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj has apparently gotten so far out of hand that Carey recently told Barbara Walters she fears for her safety.
Tabloids have been reporting on a feud between the two pop stars since before Minaj was even officially introduced as a host, but the rumors reached new heights this week when a leaked video showing Minaj going on a rant against Carey was uploaded online.
The allegations became even more serious on Wednesday, when TMZ reported that Minaj had targeted Mariah with a death threat. According to sources who were allegedly on set when the altercation went down, Minaj stormed off and multiple people overheard her say, “If I had a gun I would shoot her.”
Nigel Lythgoe, a producer for “American Idol,” spoke to TMZ and called the allegations totally false. "The statement [that Nicki made a death threat] is absolute rubbish. It's absolutely not true in any way, shape or form,” said Lythgoe.
He added that Carey approached Minaj the following morning, and when asked if she had indeed made the threat, Minaj denied it.
But on “The View” Thursday, Barbara Walters said she had interviewed Carey earlier that morning and Carey had confirmed the rumors. According to Walters, Carey said she “doesn’t feel comfortable emotionally” on the show, but will continue and has hired additional security.
Minaj immediately responded to the allegations over Twitter on Thursday, writing, “I don't call tmz n Barbara Walters cuz I stand on my own two feet. Never needed an army. God is good. Insecurity is as cruel as the grave.”
Minaj also complained that Walters had not sought a statement from her side. “I thought we resolved it yesterday but I see u want ur pity party to continue. So I'm bout to po dot tea,” she added later.
Carey’s husband, Nick Cannon, said she kept calm throughout the argument. “My wife is the strongest and classiest woman that I’ve ever met. If you watch the video, she just maintains her composure. I don’t think she’s moved by the theatrics and pageantry of it all. She signed up to do a job to help young people. This is like a sidebar. I hope that’s not what this show becomes, about the cat fights,” said Cannon, ABC reported.
“At the end of the day, she’s a mom and that’s my wife,” he said. “We got diapers to change and kids to raise.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS