Mariah Carey Tells Barbara Walters Nicki Minaj Threatened to Shoot Her
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 5, 2012 5:52 AM EST
A little diva feuding is to be expected on reality shows with celebrity panels, like "American Idol." But the celebrity feud between "American Idol" hosts Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj has apparently gotten so far out of hand that Carey recently told Barbara Walters she fears for her safety.
Tabloids have been reporting on a feud between the two pop stars since before Minaj was even officially introduced as a host, but the rumors reached new heights this week when a leaked video showing Minaj going on a rant against Carey was uploaded online.
The allegations became even more serious on Wednesday, when TMZ reported that Minaj had targeted Mariah with a death threat. According to sources who were allegedly on set when the altercation went down, Minaj stormed off and multiple people overheard her say, “If I had a gun I would shoot her.”
Nigel Lythgoe, a producer for “American Idol,” spoke to TMZ and called the allegations totally false. "The statement [that Nicki made a death threat] is absolute rubbish. It's absolutely not true in any way, shape or form,” said Lythgoe.
He added that Carey approached Minaj the following morning, and when asked if she had indeed made the threat, Minaj denied it.
But on “The View” Thursday, Barbara Walters said she had interviewed Carey earlier that morning and Carey had confirmed the rumors. According to Walters, Carey said she “doesn’t feel comfortable emotionally” on the show, but will continue and has hired additional security.
Minaj immediately responded to the allegations over Twitter on Thursday, writing, “I don't call tmz n Barbara Walters cuz I stand on my own two feet. Never needed an army. God is good. Insecurity is as cruel as the grave.”
Minaj also complained that Walters had not sought a statement from her side. “I thought we resolved it yesterday but I see u want ur pity party to continue. So I'm bout to po dot tea,” she added later.
Carey’s husband, Nick Cannon, said she kept calm throughout the argument. “My wife is the strongest and classiest woman that I’ve ever met. If you watch the video, she just maintains her composure. I don’t think she’s moved by the theatrics and pageantry of it all. She signed up to do a job to help young people. This is like a sidebar. I hope that’s not what this show becomes, about the cat fights,” said Cannon, ABC reported.
“At the end of the day, she’s a mom and that’s my wife,” he said. “We got diapers to change and kids to raise.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies