Manchester United Transfer News: Lewandowski, Ince, Hernandez and Okore Involved in Latest Speculation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 5, 2012 2:50 AM EST
Manchester United are in pole position to sign Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski next summer, according to the Daily Telegraph. United boss Sir Alex Fergsuon and his assistant Mike Phelan will make the short jaunt across Manchester on Wednesday night to watch the Poland international for Borussia Dortmund against Manchester City.
It is the Telegraph’s understanding that Dortmund rejected United’s offer of €20 million (£16m) for Lewandowski in the summer, before Ferguson went onto secure Robin van Persie.
But with Lewandowski’s contract at the Westfalenstadion due to expire in less than two years’ time, Dortmund are likely to be more amenable to an offer next summer rather than lose him for nothing the following year.
Lewandowski, 24, had a breakthrough year in Dortmund last season with 22 league goals to help his side retain their Bundesliga crown. While he has not begun in the same prolific form this campaign, he scored the winner in Dortmund’s opening Champions League victory over Ajax two weeks ago. His performances are also said to have provoked interest from Chelsea.
With United’s current wealth of attacking options, a striker would not appear to be high on Ferguson’s list of targets, however the Telegraph claims that the future of both Nani and Javier Hernandez are both in doubt.
There has been much speculation about Nani leaving, with the winger still failing to sign a new deal at Old Trafford. However, both Manchester United and Hernandez have thus far insisted that the Mexican would be staying at the club.
The Telegraph believe that Hernandez’s dip in performances since his superb debut season coupled with his reduced game time following the arrival of Van Persie could lead to a parting of ways next summer.
United’s attacking options could be boosted prior to the end of the season, though, with the Sun continuing speculation that Blackpool winger Tom Ince will arrive in January.
The report states that the 20-year-old could arrive in a £4 million deal, with his dad—former United midfielder Paul—trying to push through the deal. An England Under-21 international, Ince came through the youth ranks at Liverpool before joining Championship side Blackpool last summer. Ince has impressed in his time with the Seasiders, already registering six goals this season, but his contract is set to expire next summer.
United may also soon be making a move for another highly-rated 20-year-old. Former United goalkeeping great Peter Schmeichel has revealed that he has recommended FC Nordsjælland defender Jores Okore. Schmeichel was speaking after the Ivorian-born Denmark international played in his side’s 4-0 Champions League defeat to Chelsea on Tuesday.
"I've already mentioned him to Sir Alex, of course,” Schmeichel told Sky Sports.
"I think everybody who's watched him play, who has contacts in various clubs around has just kept an eye on this fellow, because he is something."
“We've always known he was quick, we've always known the strength. He's good in the air, we've never seen him on this stage before at this level, and the way he played today was a big surprise for me, that he could actually pass the ball as he did and take part in open play."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys