Manchester United Transfer News: Lewandowski, Ince, Hernandez and Okore Involved in Latest Speculation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 5, 2012 2:50 AM EST
Manchester United are in pole position to sign Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski next summer, according to the Daily Telegraph. United boss Sir Alex Fergsuon and his assistant Mike Phelan will make the short jaunt across Manchester on Wednesday night to watch the Poland international for Borussia Dortmund against Manchester City.
It is the Telegraph’s understanding that Dortmund rejected United’s offer of €20 million (£16m) for Lewandowski in the summer, before Ferguson went onto secure Robin van Persie.
But with Lewandowski’s contract at the Westfalenstadion due to expire in less than two years’ time, Dortmund are likely to be more amenable to an offer next summer rather than lose him for nothing the following year.
Lewandowski, 24, had a breakthrough year in Dortmund last season with 22 league goals to help his side retain their Bundesliga crown. While he has not begun in the same prolific form this campaign, he scored the winner in Dortmund’s opening Champions League victory over Ajax two weeks ago. His performances are also said to have provoked interest from Chelsea.
With United’s current wealth of attacking options, a striker would not appear to be high on Ferguson’s list of targets, however the Telegraph claims that the future of both Nani and Javier Hernandez are both in doubt.
There has been much speculation about Nani leaving, with the winger still failing to sign a new deal at Old Trafford. However, both Manchester United and Hernandez have thus far insisted that the Mexican would be staying at the club.
The Telegraph believe that Hernandez’s dip in performances since his superb debut season coupled with his reduced game time following the arrival of Van Persie could lead to a parting of ways next summer.
United’s attacking options could be boosted prior to the end of the season, though, with the Sun continuing speculation that Blackpool winger Tom Ince will arrive in January.
The report states that the 20-year-old could arrive in a £4 million deal, with his dad—former United midfielder Paul—trying to push through the deal. An England Under-21 international, Ince came through the youth ranks at Liverpool before joining Championship side Blackpool last summer. Ince has impressed in his time with the Seasiders, already registering six goals this season, but his contract is set to expire next summer.
United may also soon be making a move for another highly-rated 20-year-old. Former United goalkeeping great Peter Schmeichel has revealed that he has recommended FC Nordsjælland defender Jores Okore. Schmeichel was speaking after the Ivorian-born Denmark international played in his side’s 4-0 Champions League defeat to Chelsea on Tuesday.
"I've already mentioned him to Sir Alex, of course,” Schmeichel told Sky Sports.
"I think everybody who's watched him play, who has contacts in various clubs around has just kept an eye on this fellow, because he is something."
“We've always known he was quick, we've always known the strength. He's good in the air, we've never seen him on this stage before at this level, and the way he played today was a big surprise for me, that he could actually pass the ball as he did and take part in open play."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares