Manchester United Transfer News: Lewandowski, Ince, Hernandez and Okore Involved in Latest Speculation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 5, 2012 2:50 AM EST
Manchester United are in pole position to sign Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski next summer, according to the Daily Telegraph. United boss Sir Alex Fergsuon and his assistant Mike Phelan will make the short jaunt across Manchester on Wednesday night to watch the Poland international for Borussia Dortmund against Manchester City.
It is the Telegraph’s understanding that Dortmund rejected United’s offer of €20 million (£16m) for Lewandowski in the summer, before Ferguson went onto secure Robin van Persie.
But with Lewandowski’s contract at the Westfalenstadion due to expire in less than two years’ time, Dortmund are likely to be more amenable to an offer next summer rather than lose him for nothing the following year.
Lewandowski, 24, had a breakthrough year in Dortmund last season with 22 league goals to help his side retain their Bundesliga crown. While he has not begun in the same prolific form this campaign, he scored the winner in Dortmund’s opening Champions League victory over Ajax two weeks ago. His performances are also said to have provoked interest from Chelsea.
With United’s current wealth of attacking options, a striker would not appear to be high on Ferguson’s list of targets, however the Telegraph claims that the future of both Nani and Javier Hernandez are both in doubt.
There has been much speculation about Nani leaving, with the winger still failing to sign a new deal at Old Trafford. However, both Manchester United and Hernandez have thus far insisted that the Mexican would be staying at the club.
The Telegraph believe that Hernandez’s dip in performances since his superb debut season coupled with his reduced game time following the arrival of Van Persie could lead to a parting of ways next summer.
United’s attacking options could be boosted prior to the end of the season, though, with the Sun continuing speculation that Blackpool winger Tom Ince will arrive in January.
The report states that the 20-year-old could arrive in a £4 million deal, with his dad—former United midfielder Paul—trying to push through the deal. An England Under-21 international, Ince came through the youth ranks at Liverpool before joining Championship side Blackpool last summer. Ince has impressed in his time with the Seasiders, already registering six goals this season, but his contract is set to expire next summer.
United may also soon be making a move for another highly-rated 20-year-old. Former United goalkeeping great Peter Schmeichel has revealed that he has recommended FC Nordsjælland defender Jores Okore. Schmeichel was speaking after the Ivorian-born Denmark international played in his side’s 4-0 Champions League defeat to Chelsea on Tuesday.
"I've already mentioned him to Sir Alex, of course,” Schmeichel told Sky Sports.
"I think everybody who's watched him play, who has contacts in various clubs around has just kept an eye on this fellow, because he is something."
“We've always known he was quick, we've always known the strength. He's good in the air, we've never seen him on this stage before at this level, and the way he played today was a big surprise for me, that he could actually pass the ball as he did and take part in open play."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet