Liverpool Star Set to Sign New Contract - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 4, 2012 8:26 PM EST
Liverpool defender Daniel Agger is to sign a new four year contract with the club. The Danish international was strongly linked with moves to Premier League champions Manchester City and Catalan giants Barcelona, earlier this summer.
The defender, who enjoyed a solid summer with his country at the 2012 European Championships, has only just recovered from a knee injury suffered in a collision with team mate Glen Johnson. The two defenders clattered into one another during the Anfield team's 1-2 home defeat to Manchester United. Initial reports were troubling for Liverpool fans and Agger but fortunately he was back on his feet quickly and had a trouble-free 90 minutes in the 5-2 hammering of Norwich City.
"I feared the worst when it happened. When I tried to get up the muscle in my knee just didn't work. I felt really unsteady and the medical staff thought I had done my ligaments. I thought it was a bad one and that I would be out for months. But, thankfully, it was just a really hard knock to the knee," the Dane said after the injury at Carrow Road.
The defender's willingness to put pain aside and play for the club earned him the praise of his manager, Brendan Rodgers, who said he was delighted with his player's attitude.
"He's a real warrior. I am very fortunate here that I have got a group that has that real warrior mentality and he is one of those guys," the former Swansea City manager told the club's Web site.
Cole is Back
Meanwhile, Rodgers received more good news ahead of the UEFA Europa League game against Udinese. Midfielder Joe Cole injured himself in the club's opening game of the season - a 0-3 defeat at West Brom - but played in an U21 game against Fulham, as part of his recovery, and scored a goal. The former Chelsea man may be 30 but Rodgers believes he can contribute to the team.
"His attitude is superb and Joe really thinks he can contribute to the group, which is great. He's been unfortunate. He's been out and came back a couple of times, but didn't quite really get through fitness wise," Rodgers explained, adding, "... he's now fit enough to fight for his position in the group."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People