Newcastle v Bordeaux: Europa League, Where to Watch Live, Preview, Probable Teams
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 4, 2012 7:52 PM EST
Newcastle United will host French side Girondins Bordeaux in the two teams' second game of the UEFA Europa League. The Magpies were held to a 0-0 draw in the first game, away to Portuguese side Maritimo, while the Ligue 1 club had a more profitable encounter, hammering Belgians Club Brugge 4-0 at home.
Where to Watch Live
Coverage starts at 8 pm BST on ESPN and ESPN HD. Real time updates can be found on Gamecast, via Soccernet.
The Magpies started the season on the right note, beating Tottenham 2-1, at home, on the Premier League's opening day. Unfortunately, since then Alan Pardew's men have been in something of a slump. Newcastle have won just once in their last six games. They may have lost only once in that stretch but Pardew will be aware it is not good enough for a side that was challenging for Champions League football through most of last season. In addition, the awarding of an eight-year contract to the 51 year old Englishman means he now has to justify owner Mike Ashley's faith and deliver winning results.
Newcastle will go into this game after only just salvaging a 2-2 draw at Reading at the weekend. The Madejski Stadium team were on course to their first league win of the season, after goals from Jimmy Kebe and Noel Hunt but want-away Senegalese striker netted a late goal, his second of the game, to steal a point. The result dropped the side to 10th, with nine points from six games. The club's last game in Europe - the 0-0 draw at Maritimo - was equally disappointing. This was a game they should have won, particularly since the Portuguese side is, theoretically, the weakest team in the group. They can, however, draw from what was a strong performance.
Bordeaux have been only marginally better than their visitors. The French club is unbeaten this season but tends to have a Jekyll and Hyde sort of personality. They've played 10 games so far this season but apart from the first two games (in August) have yet to win twice on the trot. The three games they've played in Europe this season tells a different story, though. They beat Crvena Zvezda 3-2, on aggregate in the qualifying rounds, and cruised to a very comfortable win against Brugge in the first group match, with goals from Ludovic Sane, Yoan Gouffran and Ferreira Jussie (and an own goal by Bjorn Engels). In addition, the hosts will carry confidence from a 2-0 away win over Olympique Lyon from the weekend. Bordeaux are presently fifth in Ligue 1, with 13 points from seven games.
Incidentally, this game will see French midfielder Gabriel Obertan turn out against his former club. The winger transferred from Bordeaux to United in 2009, where he spent two unsuccessful years before arriving at St James' Park last season.
- Last five (most recent first): D L W D D
- Last result: Reading 2 - 2 Newcastle
- Last five (most recent first): W D W D D
- Last result: Lyon 0 - 2 Bordeaux
Pardew is likely to make a number of changes, yet again, with one eye on the visit of Manchester United on 7 October. The Red Devils beat Newcastle 2-1, at Old Trafford, to dump the Magpies out of the Capital One Cup and a measure of revenge will certainly be in Newcastle's collective consciousness. However, Pardew has commented he intends to take this competition as seriously as he can, suggesting a sprinkling of first team regulars will join youngsters against the French.
The hosts have something of a defensive crisis. Captain Fabricio Coloccini is ruled out after an injury in the game against United, while Dutch goalkeeper Tim Krul is still unavailable. Central defender Steven Taylor is another who is unlikely to feature against Bordeaux... or indeed even against United. The good news for Pardew is former United youngster Danny Simpson is back and fit again. The better news is French midfielder Yohan Cabaye is also ready to play, after recovering from a mouth infection. Meanwhile, Cabaye's compatriot, Hatem ben Arfa, has completed his suspension and will probably slot straight into a Newcastle side looking for creative inspiration.
Up front, both Senegalese stars, Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba are set to start and if the two can re-create the magic from last season, scoring goals will be the least of Pardew's problems.
Probable Line-Up: Harper; Simpson, Williamson, Perch, Santon; Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Obertan; Ba, Cisse
Bordeaux will be without midfielders Gregory Sertic and Nicolas Maurice-Belay. In addition, Landry N'Guemo and Fahid ben Khalfallah are also unlikely to play, although the pair may be fit enough to face a late fitness test and maybe a place on the bench.
Probable Line-Up: Carrasso; Chalme, Planus, Henrique; Sane; Saivet, Obraniak, Plasil, Marange; Gouffran, Jussie
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected