Indian Rupee Breaches 52-Level to Dollar
By Raymond Ronamai | October 4, 2012 5:54 PM EST
The rupee on Thursday breached 52 to the dollar, the highest in over five months, on hopes that the array of reforms measures proposed by the central government would boost the economic growth of the country.
The Union Cabinet is set to approve bills that would raise the cap on foreign direct investment (FDI) in insurance firms and open the pension sector to foreign investors.
According to Reuters, the rupee was at 51.99/52.01 to the dollar at 9.06 a.m. after rising to as high as 51.96 in opening trades. It closed on Wednesday at 52.1550/1650.
Indian rupee fell to a new low of 57.126 to the dollar in June this year and consistently remained above the 55 mark for over three months, lowering the sentiments of investors.
The value of the rupee to the dollar was above 55 throughout August but eased in September, touching 52.855 towards the end of the month after the government announced its decision to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in the retail sector and domestic carriers.
The stock market also gained one percent to above 19,000 points on Thursday, which is a 15-month high, on hopes for additional fiscal and economic reforms.
India doesn't allow foreign players to invest in the pension sector while investment in the insurance sector is capped at 26 percent. However, sources said that the government would allow 26 percent FDI in the pension space and raise the cap in insurance firms to 49 percent.
The government had earlier decided to allow up to 51 per cent FDI in the multi-brand retail sector, 49 per cent FDI in domestic carriers, an increase in diesel prices and a cap on subsidized cooking gas, inviting protests from various political parties demanding a rollback of the reforms, alleging that it would kill the business of small traders.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- Health Virus Alert: Canadians Urged to Watch Out Against Rare Enterovirus D68; 3 Cases Confirmed in B.C., 18 in Alberta
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet