Liverpool v Udinese: Europa League, Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | October 4, 2012 4:51 PM EST
Liverpool will be eager to carry forward the excellent form and confidence from the 5-2 hammering of Norwich City in the league into their already good form in Europe. However, their opponents, Italian club Udinese, are no slouches... even if they are struggling in the Serie A.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 8.05 pm BST and live coverage will be available on iTV4.
Neither side has started domestic campaigns the way they would have wanted to and are presently languishing in the wrong halves of their respective league tables; the Reds are 14th and the Italians 15th.
The good news for Brendan Rodgers, however, is the Anfield club seemed to have bounced back from the worst league start in the club's history (since 1903). The win at Carrow Road (and Luis Suarez's hat-trick, his second successive at that stadium) should be enough to put a smile on the manager's face.
Udinese, meanwhile, had to settle for a goal-less draw at the Stadio Friuli, against Genoa. Francesco Guidolin's side have only one win from six games this season (that was a shock 2-1 win over AC Milan) and have not scored in their last two games. The Italians, in fact, have only that win to their name all season long; they've drawn six of nine games played so far.
In the first round of Group A matches, Liverpool beat BSC Young Boys 5-3 at Bern, while Udinese posted a 1-1 draw at home against Russian big-spenders Anzhi Makhachkala.
- Last five (most recent first): W W L W D
- Last result: Norwich City 2 - 5 Liverpool
- Last five (most recent first): D D W D D
- Last result: Udinese 0 - 0 Genoa
Liverpool: Long-term absentees Lucas Leiva, Martin Kelly and Jose Enrique are the only players sidelined for the Reds as they go into this clash, with the latter expected to be fit to face Stoke City in the weekend. However, Joe Cole is available and could be in line for his comeback from injury. Brendan Rodgers is expected to rest a number of senior players, including Steven Gerrard, Suarez, Pepe Reina, Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Nuri Sahin and Joe Allen for the Europa League clash.
Jamie Carragher and Sebastian Coates are sure bets to start at the centre of the defence, while Jon Flanagan and Jack Robinson could feature as the wing-backs. In midfield, Jordan Henderson is a strong possibility and so is Jonjo Shelvey, who is still serving a domestic suspension, while youngster Suso is also in contention. Up front, Daniel Pacheco and Oussama Assaidi are likely to feature, with Stewart Downing a favourite for the last spot.
Udinese: Francesco Guidolin has no fresh injury or suspension worries and has a full squad to choose from. However, the Italian side is likely to rest captain Antonio Di Natale for this clash match, with Swede Matias Ranegie expected to start up front.
Probable Starting Line-up
Liverpool (4-3-3): Jones; Flanagan, Carragher, Coates, Robinson; Henderson, Shelvey, Suso; Downing, Pacheco, Assaidi
Udinese (4-2-3-1): Padelli; Danilo, Domizzi, Benatia, Armero; Faraoni, Bado; Lazarri, Pereya, Willians; Ranegie
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6