IHG to Launch First Electric Car Network for Australia Hotels
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 4, 2012 3:27 PM EST
Hotels in Australia will soon be transporting guests in electric-charged service vehicles.
The InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) will soon be launching an electric car charge network, initially connecting five properties, using cutting-edge technology for a new and growing customer base.
Installed in partnership with electric car charge network Better Place, IHG will have the charge spots in its five properties across New South Wales, which include Crowne Plaza Terrigal, Holiday Inn Old Sydney, Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach, Holiday Inn Sydney Airport and Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley. IHG will put in place an electric car (EV) charge spots in their property car parks or forecourts where drivers can plug into the charge spots and top-up their battery while at the same time enjoying the respective hotel's facilities as well as event spaces.
"Reducing carbon emissions is not just a global issue; it's a local issue too. Installing car charge spots for electric car drivers supports our commitment to sustainability and simultaneously helps to reduce pollution and emission levels in Australia," Victoria Rose, IHG Director of Sustainability, Australasia said.
Contributing zero emissions charging for up to two electric cars at once, the hotel's charge spots deliver 20 - 25 km of range per hour. Better Place buys only 100 per cent GreenPower for its network, enabling it to provide zero emissions charging.
"On-site charging will help make IHG properties a destination address for electric car drivers, because it's so easy and convenient for visitors, guests and delegates to park and plug in," Guy Pross, Better Place General Manager, said.
Passenger vehicles in Australia give off 10 per cent of Australia's CO2 emissions every year.
With the mainstream adoption of electric cars, this figure will be significantly reduced since every petrol car being replaced by an EV that is powered by renewable energy can prevent 4 tonnes to 6 tonnes of carbon emissions from entering the atmosphere annually.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build