Precious Metals Mixed, Gold, Silver Shares Retreat
By jturbin | October 4, 2012 5:46 AM EST
Gold and silver futures oscillated between gains and losses on Wednesday amid a relatively quiet day in the precious metals complex.
Gold for December delivery remained up by $4.50, or 0.3%, at $1,780.10 per ounce in afternoon trading, while silver for December delivery dipped by $0.05, or 0.1%, to $34.62 per ounce.
Shares of most mining companies fared worse than the metals, however, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) slid 1.5% to 187.95. Among gold stocks, two of the largest decliners were AngloGold Ashanti (AU) and Harmony Gold (HMY) – which fell by 4.1% to $33.15 and by 5.0% to $7.93 per share, respectively.
Harmony Gold came under pressure after the South African-based gold producer announced that its Khusasalethu mine became the latest cite of strikes by mining workers. Until this point, Harmony had been the only major South African gold miner that had not fallen victim to the nation-wide strike that has caused substantial difficulties for its peers – including AngloGold Ashanti and Gold Fields (GFI).
As for silver equities, notable companies in the red included Coeur d’Alene Mines (CDE) and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). CDE dropped by 2.2% to $27.81 while SSRI sunk 2.3% to $15.30 per share.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1