Precious Metals Mixed, Gold, Silver Shares Retreat
By jturbin | October 4, 2012 5:46 AM EST
Gold and silver futures oscillated between gains and losses on Wednesday amid a relatively quiet day in the precious metals complex.
Gold for December delivery remained up by $4.50, or 0.3%, at $1,780.10 per ounce in afternoon trading, while silver for December delivery dipped by $0.05, or 0.1%, to $34.62 per ounce.
Shares of most mining companies fared worse than the metals, however, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) slid 1.5% to 187.95. Among gold stocks, two of the largest decliners were AngloGold Ashanti (AU) and Harmony Gold (HMY) – which fell by 4.1% to $33.15 and by 5.0% to $7.93 per share, respectively.
Harmony Gold came under pressure after the South African-based gold producer announced that its Khusasalethu mine became the latest cite of strikes by mining workers. Until this point, Harmony had been the only major South African gold miner that had not fallen victim to the nation-wide strike that has caused substantial difficulties for its peers – including AngloGold Ashanti and Gold Fields (GFI).
As for silver equities, notable companies in the red included Coeur d’Alene Mines (CDE) and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). CDE dropped by 2.2% to $27.81 while SSRI sunk 2.3% to $15.30 per share.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge