Chelsea Striker Target Unsure Over Madrid Future After Considering Exit
By Nick Howson | October 4, 2012 1:18 AM EST
Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao says he has had thoughts about leaving the La Liga side and that he doesn't know what the future holds.
The Columbian scored 36 goals in all competitions last season for Madrid as the club only qualified for the Europa League.
Falcao has been linked with a switch to Chelsea after he netted a hat trick against the Premier League outfit in the Super Cup final, and the 26 year old says he has had thoughts about leaving Madrid.
"I thought about the possibility of leaving when the club said that it would be difficult to continue if it did not get into the Champions League," Falcao was quoted as saying by Marca.
"The future was uncertain because of finances but the team made a big push and almost the entire squad stayed in the end.
"That's something that shows how well Atletico are being managed. I'm under contract for a few more years, my reality is Atletico and I can't think about anything else."
After producing a sensational performance against Chelsea in victory over the Champions League winners in Monaco at the end of August, Falcao has been linked with a move to English football on a number of occasions.
"I do not know what will happen in the future," he added. "The situation depends not only on the players and the management but also the economy of the clubs and even the country."
Amid Fernando Torres' problems in front of goal and Daniel Sturridge's fitness issues, Falcao is understood to be the player to solve The Blues' problems in front of goal.
Roberto Di Matteo opted against signing a striker in the summer transfer window, instead bringing in a host of creative players including Eden Hazard and Brazilian Oscar.
Chelsea currently find themselves top of the Premier League after winning five of their last six games, and have four points from two games in the Champions League having emphatically defeated FC Nordsjaelland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates