Chelsea Striker Target Unsure Over Madrid Future After Considering Exit
By Nick Howson | October 4, 2012 1:18 AM EST
Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao says he has had thoughts about leaving the La Liga side and that he doesn't know what the future holds.
The Columbian scored 36 goals in all competitions last season for Madrid as the club only qualified for the Europa League.
Falcao has been linked with a switch to Chelsea after he netted a hat trick against the Premier League outfit in the Super Cup final, and the 26 year old says he has had thoughts about leaving Madrid.
"I thought about the possibility of leaving when the club said that it would be difficult to continue if it did not get into the Champions League," Falcao was quoted as saying by Marca.
"The future was uncertain because of finances but the team made a big push and almost the entire squad stayed in the end.
"That's something that shows how well Atletico are being managed. I'm under contract for a few more years, my reality is Atletico and I can't think about anything else."
After producing a sensational performance against Chelsea in victory over the Champions League winners in Monaco at the end of August, Falcao has been linked with a move to English football on a number of occasions.
"I do not know what will happen in the future," he added. "The situation depends not only on the players and the management but also the economy of the clubs and even the country."
Amid Fernando Torres' problems in front of goal and Daniel Sturridge's fitness issues, Falcao is understood to be the player to solve The Blues' problems in front of goal.
Roberto Di Matteo opted against signing a striker in the summer transfer window, instead bringing in a host of creative players including Eden Hazard and Brazilian Oscar.
Chelsea currently find themselves top of the Premier League after winning five of their last six games, and have four points from two games in the Champions League having emphatically defeated FC Nordsjaelland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports