Chelsea Striker Target Unsure Over Madrid Future After Considering Exit
By Nick Howson | October 4, 2012 1:18 AM EST
Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao says he has had thoughts about leaving the La Liga side and that he doesn't know what the future holds.
The Columbian scored 36 goals in all competitions last season for Madrid as the club only qualified for the Europa League.
Falcao has been linked with a switch to Chelsea after he netted a hat trick against the Premier League outfit in the Super Cup final, and the 26 year old says he has had thoughts about leaving Madrid.
"I thought about the possibility of leaving when the club said that it would be difficult to continue if it did not get into the Champions League," Falcao was quoted as saying by Marca.
"The future was uncertain because of finances but the team made a big push and almost the entire squad stayed in the end.
"That's something that shows how well Atletico are being managed. I'm under contract for a few more years, my reality is Atletico and I can't think about anything else."
After producing a sensational performance against Chelsea in victory over the Champions League winners in Monaco at the end of August, Falcao has been linked with a move to English football on a number of occasions.
"I do not know what will happen in the future," he added. "The situation depends not only on the players and the management but also the economy of the clubs and even the country."
Amid Fernando Torres' problems in front of goal and Daniel Sturridge's fitness issues, Falcao is understood to be the player to solve The Blues' problems in front of goal.
Roberto Di Matteo opted against signing a striker in the summer transfer window, instead bringing in a host of creative players including Eden Hazard and Brazilian Oscar.
Chelsea currently find themselves top of the Premier League after winning five of their last six games, and have four points from two games in the Champions League having emphatically defeated FC Nordsjaelland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports