Hernandez and Nani’s United Futures Put in Doubt - Report
By Adrian Back | October 3, 2012 11:55 PM EST
The future of attacking midfielder Nani and striker Javier Hernandez has been put in doubt as the Manchester United duo continue to be linked with a summer exit.
A report in the Telegraph suggests that due to Manchester United emerging as the favourites to sign Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski, both Nani and Hernandez could find themselves surplus to requirements.
Nani has been unable to agree terms on a new contract and his loss of form has meant that United are in no rush to extend the wingers contract beyond June 2014.
The Portuguese midfielder was a target of Russian side Zenit St. Petersburg over the summer, before they decided to turn their attention to Brazilian striker Hulk and exciting young midfielder Axel Witsel.
Zenit director-general Maxim Mitrofanov revealed earlier this season that the deal would have gone through had it not been for Nani's excessive wage demands.
"If Hulk had demanded €8 million to €10 million a year, these conditions would have been unacceptable for Zenit," Mitrofanov told Sky Sports.
"The transfer of Nani failed mostly due to this reason, as he asked for an enormous salary and we would not pay him."
The form of the attacking midfielder has also been questioned this season as he has struggled to influence games and was hauled off at half-time in the 2-1 win over Liverpool.
The Telegraph also believes that Hernandez could be sold at the end of the season after slipping down the pecking order due to the arrival of Robin van Persie.
Hernandez has found himself fourth choice, behind Van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck, and has started just one league game this season.
He did score in the 4-0 win over Wigan but the Telegraph suggests that if his form does not improve this season then Manchester United could well decide to cash-in during the summer transfer window.
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson invariably tends not to do business during the January window and may well wait until the end of the season when Lewandowski would have just one year remaining on his contract.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks