Hernandez and Nani’s United Futures Put in Doubt - Report
By Adrian Back | October 3, 2012 11:55 PM EST
The future of attacking midfielder Nani and striker Javier Hernandez has been put in doubt as the Manchester United duo continue to be linked with a summer exit.
A report in the Telegraph suggests that due to Manchester United emerging as the favourites to sign Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski, both Nani and Hernandez could find themselves surplus to requirements.
Nani has been unable to agree terms on a new contract and his loss of form has meant that United are in no rush to extend the wingers contract beyond June 2014.
The Portuguese midfielder was a target of Russian side Zenit St. Petersburg over the summer, before they decided to turn their attention to Brazilian striker Hulk and exciting young midfielder Axel Witsel.
Zenit director-general Maxim Mitrofanov revealed earlier this season that the deal would have gone through had it not been for Nani's excessive wage demands.
"If Hulk had demanded €8 million to €10 million a year, these conditions would have been unacceptable for Zenit," Mitrofanov told Sky Sports.
"The transfer of Nani failed mostly due to this reason, as he asked for an enormous salary and we would not pay him."
The form of the attacking midfielder has also been questioned this season as he has struggled to influence games and was hauled off at half-time in the 2-1 win over Liverpool.
The Telegraph also believes that Hernandez could be sold at the end of the season after slipping down the pecking order due to the arrival of Robin van Persie.
Hernandez has found himself fourth choice, behind Van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck, and has started just one league game this season.
He did score in the 4-0 win over Wigan but the Telegraph suggests that if his form does not improve this season then Manchester United could well decide to cash-in during the summer transfer window.
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson invariably tends not to do business during the January window and may well wait until the end of the season when Lewandowski would have just one year remaining on his contract.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display