Maruti Suzuki Hikes Car Prices to Counter Currency Flux Impact and Higher Input Costs
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 3, 2012 11:52 PM EST
India's largest car maker Maruti Suzuki announced on Wednesday a price hike in all car models by up to ₹5,250, following suit of other auto majors who raised car prices in a bid to counter the impact of currency fluctuation and higher input costs.
"The average hike in the price across models is around 1 per cent and the range will be between ₹2,500 and ₹5,250," a company spokesperson said according to Press Trust of India (PTI).
Maruti India, controlled by Japan's Suzuki Motor Corp, has seen a 9.84 percent increase in its total sales in September. The company's monthly sale report published on Oct 1 showed that the total sales volume surged 10 percent to 93,988 units in September.
Maruti India offers an entire range of cars ranging from the entry level Maruti 800 and Alto, other hatchbacks like Ritz, Swift, Estillo, sedans like DZire, SX4 to multi-purpose vehicle Ertiga and Sports Utility vehicle Grand Vitara. The latest hike will be applicable to the entire range.
The company last month hinted at raising car prices. "There is a lot of pressure on our margins due to the foreign exchange fluctuation and rising input costs," Maruti Suzuki India Chief Operating Officer (Marketing and Sales) Mayank Pareek told PTI.
Auto companies like Honda Cars, General Motors and Audi India have also hiked car prices this month. Audi has increased the price of its sports utility vehicle Audi Q3 by ₹50,000, while Honda models like Brio, Jazz and City also witnessed a hike of 2.6 percent on its current price. On the other hand, Tata Motors on Tuesday unveiled its refreshed Indica eV2 model with a price cut of ₹23,000.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- US Alerts Car Owners To Fix Air Bags Urgently As Defective Air Bags Are Causing Fatal Deaths With Shrapnels Flying Out
- Honda Connect a System Based on Android and NVIDIA Tegra Processor To make Driving Easy
- Over 1,000 New Jobs Available at Oakville Assembly – Ford of Canada
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists