'Oh My God' Controversy: Paresh Rawal Unperturbed by Protests
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 3, 2012 8:56 PM EST
Several organizations protested against "Oh My God" but Paresh Rawal, the lead actor and the co-producer of the film, is unperturbed by the controversy surrounding the film and said that he never expected the protests.
The screening of "Oh My God" was brought to a halt in Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Amritsar, Nawanshahr, Hoshiarpur and other places in Punjab following a protest alleging that the film made derogatory references to Hindu gods.
Paresh Rawal told IANS that "there was no fear of backlash at all. We were always very sure of what we were saying and doing on ritualistic religion and the way it controls the life of the common man."
"I had performed the same story in play form in front of a thousand audience for 150 shows in Gujarati and Hindi repeatedly. The play has also been performed in Punjabi and English. We never had any protests," he was quoted saying.
"A live audience could've easily expressed it's displeasure at our ideas in the play. Not once did we face any protest. So, I knew we were on stable ground with the film. There was no one throwing shoes in any of the shows. Audiences from the older and younger generations have appreciated the idea beyond the play," he added.
The 62-year-old actor went on to say that "if we are daunted by protests, we'd never be able to extend the reach and impact of the visual medium, be it theatre, television or cinema."
"Oh My God", directed by Umesh Shukla, is a comedy film that revolves around an atheist. Despite good reviews from critics, It didn't make a good opening at the box office but picked up over the weekend, collecting ₹18.5 crore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories