Giroud Upset with Start to his Arsenal Career
By Adrian Back | October 3, 2012 7:13 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed that Olivier Giroud is concerned with his form after scoring just one goal in his seven appearances this season.
The France international arrived at the Emirates in the summer having been the top scorer in Ligue 1 with 21 league goals in his 36 appearances.
Having played a crucial role in helping Montpellier win the league title, Giroud arrived at Arsenal with plenty of expectation on his shoulders and he has so afar struggled to deliver.
He is yet to score a Premier League goal and Wenger has admitted that it is concerning the 26-year-old.
"He is upset," Wenger told the Daily Telegraph. "I told him not to worry but you say what you want. A striker who doesn't score, doesn't really listen to you. They run it through in their minds over and over again.
"He is still in what I consider an adaptation period because it is a different team, a different way of playing and different football. He will adapt."
While Giroud has struggled to set the league alight with his performances, fellow new signings Luka Podolski and Santi Cazorla have both excelled.
Spanish playmaker Cazorla has particularly impressed and Wenger has spoken of his delight at how the former Malaga midfielder has settled into life in England.
"We are all over the moon with Santi Cazorla. We are happy with him. He is not only an exceptional football player, but as well an exceptional person who is every day happy to play, to practice and has a very good team attitude. We are very, very happy with him," Wenger told the Arsenal website.
"The problem for Santi Cazorla is that if he was Finnish of course he would play [for the national team]! If he was English as well, but Spain at the moment is gifted with so many good midfielders that it is very difficult to get into the team. Even there, I think he plays in some games and I hope in the future he will play more."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales