Charlotte Dawson: Twitter Trolls Caused ‘Massive Anxiety Attack’
By Arlene Paredes | October 3, 2012 5:18 PM EST
Charlotte Dawson on Tuesday spoke on air about an earlier report that an ambulance had rushed her to a hospital in August. The situation was linked to Twitter trolls who were bullying Dawson and asking her to "go hang yourself."
Speaking to Kyle and Jackie O, Dawson implied the trolls got into her. And she was lucky someone checked after her on that night.
"I didn't [call the ambulance]. I was very much passed out by that stage. But one of my little girls from [Australia's Next Top Model], Madeline, was awake and she follows me, so she came. She has keys to my apartment."
Madeline was alerted by Dawson's tweet that said: "You win x."
The cyber attack of the Twitter trolls peaked after Dawson re-tweeted a hate tweet from a university employee.
"Ms Heti," the university employee, apparently did not like her. Ms Heti tweeted: "excuse me @MsCharlotteD on behalf of NZ we would like you to please GO HANG YOURSELF!!!"
Dawson did a research on Ms Heti and found out her cyber bully is named Tanya Heti. She worked at Monash University, and was later suspended from work over her hate tweets.
"The NSW Police Force takes cyber bullying very seriously," a spokeswoman for NSW Police had said.
"Threats of violence, whether made on-line or not, constitute criminal conduct and will be thoroughly investigated by police ... and if sufficient evidence exists, appropriate action will be taken," the spokesperson added.
It is not clear whether Dawson assumed the hate tweets would stop at Ms Heti's suspension.
"When I got home late at night [the hate tweeters] started sending child pornography, mutilated bodies and I got hundreds and hundreds of messages asking me to kill myself," Dawson recounted.
"I ignored it and went to sleep and I woke up a couple of hours later to check the feed and I could feel the adrenalin just started pumping and I just had a massive, massive anxiety attack," she added.
This was the first time for Dawson to talk about what happened to her after the height of Twitter attacks in August.
Victim of cyber bullies? Get Help!
If you or anyone you know are being bothered by bullies on the internet. Contact Lifeline Australia for help and support.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown