Charlotte Dawson: Twitter Trolls Caused ‘Massive Anxiety Attack’
By Arlene Paredes | October 3, 2012 5:18 PM EST
Charlotte Dawson on Tuesday spoke on air about an earlier report that an ambulance had rushed her to a hospital in August. The situation was linked to Twitter trolls who were bullying Dawson and asking her to "go hang yourself."
Speaking to Kyle and Jackie O, Dawson implied the trolls got into her. And she was lucky someone checked after her on that night.
"I didn't [call the ambulance]. I was very much passed out by that stage. But one of my little girls from [Australia's Next Top Model], Madeline, was awake and she follows me, so she came. She has keys to my apartment."
Madeline was alerted by Dawson's tweet that said: "You win x."
The cyber attack of the Twitter trolls peaked after Dawson re-tweeted a hate tweet from a university employee.
"Ms Heti," the university employee, apparently did not like her. Ms Heti tweeted: "excuse me @MsCharlotteD on behalf of NZ we would like you to please GO HANG YOURSELF!!!"
Dawson did a research on Ms Heti and found out her cyber bully is named Tanya Heti. She worked at Monash University, and was later suspended from work over her hate tweets.
"The NSW Police Force takes cyber bullying very seriously," a spokeswoman for NSW Police had said.
"Threats of violence, whether made on-line or not, constitute criminal conduct and will be thoroughly investigated by police ... and if sufficient evidence exists, appropriate action will be taken," the spokesperson added.
It is not clear whether Dawson assumed the hate tweets would stop at Ms Heti's suspension.
"When I got home late at night [the hate tweeters] started sending child pornography, mutilated bodies and I got hundreds and hundreds of messages asking me to kill myself," Dawson recounted.
"I ignored it and went to sleep and I woke up a couple of hours later to check the feed and I could feel the adrenalin just started pumping and I just had a massive, massive anxiety attack," she added.
This was the first time for Dawson to talk about what happened to her after the height of Twitter attacks in August.
Victim of cyber bullies? Get Help!
If you or anyone you know are being bothered by bullies on the internet. Contact Lifeline Australia for help and support.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation