'Gangnam Style' Prison Dance Viral Video: 1 Million Views in 3 Days [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | October 3, 2012 12:57 PM EST
"Gangnam Style" is the latest dance craze to hit a popular prison in the Philippines, the same detention center known for gathering inmates for dance performances as part of its rehabilitation and recreation programs.
The inmates at Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC), a maximum security prison in a province in the Philippines, have been featured in many international news outlets. In December 2007, CPDRC was featured in Time magazine. It was after the inmates first danced to the tune of Michael Jackson's "Thriller."
In 2010, the inmates again drew international attention when Travis Payne, the choreographer and associate director of Jackson's "This Is It" visited CPDRC and choreographed the inmates' performances of "They Don't Care about Us" and "Bad."
On Saturday, Sept 29, YouTube user Ryan Christopher uploaded another dance video from the CPDRC. This time, the prison inmates grooved to the music of PSY's "Gangnam Style." The video was viewed over one million times in only three days. Over 13,000 users have "Liked" the video, so far.
The YouTube clip description says: "Due to insistent public demand, the world renowned dancing inmates of Cebu finally had their own version of Psy's Gangnam Style music video."
"Despite the heavy rain yesterday afternoon, Sept. 29, at least a thousand inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) entertained guests with their ecstatic adoption of the Guinness World Record holder for the "Most Liked in YouTube." Credits to Mark Anthony Bautista for taking the video."
Cebu province is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Philippines. The province is known for its historic tourist spots and pristine beaches. Local and foreign tourists sometimes include the CPDRC in their itineraries to watch the inmates dance in their orange jumpsuits.
VIRAL VIDEO: "Gangnam Style" Prison Dance
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date