'Gangnam Style' Prison Dance Viral Video: 1 Million Views in 3 Days [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | October 3, 2012 12:57 PM EST
"Gangnam Style" is the latest dance craze to hit a popular prison in the Philippines, the same detention center known for gathering inmates for dance performances as part of its rehabilitation and recreation programs.
The inmates at Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC), a maximum security prison in a province in the Philippines, have been featured in many international news outlets. In December 2007, CPDRC was featured in Time magazine. It was after the inmates first danced to the tune of Michael Jackson's "Thriller."
In 2010, the inmates again drew international attention when Travis Payne, the choreographer and associate director of Jackson's "This Is It" visited CPDRC and choreographed the inmates' performances of "They Don't Care about Us" and "Bad."
On Saturday, Sept 29, YouTube user Ryan Christopher uploaded another dance video from the CPDRC. This time, the prison inmates grooved to the music of PSY's "Gangnam Style." The video was viewed over one million times in only three days. Over 13,000 users have "Liked" the video, so far.
The YouTube clip description says: "Due to insistent public demand, the world renowned dancing inmates of Cebu finally had their own version of Psy's Gangnam Style music video."
"Despite the heavy rain yesterday afternoon, Sept. 29, at least a thousand inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) entertained guests with their ecstatic adoption of the Guinness World Record holder for the "Most Liked in YouTube." Credits to Mark Anthony Bautista for taking the video."
Cebu province is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Philippines. The province is known for its historic tourist spots and pristine beaches. Local and foreign tourists sometimes include the CPDRC in their itineraries to watch the inmates dance in their orange jumpsuits.
VIRAL VIDEO: "Gangnam Style" Prison Dance
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales