John Deere Advertises 150 Jobs In Madrid, 15,000 People Show Up
October 3, 2012 6:52 AM EST
The front page of Spanish newspaper El País Tuesday featured a photo of a queue: a 15,000-person strong contingent of people looking for jobs at the John Deere factory in the Getafe district of Madrid, The Telegraph reported.
John Deere had listed 150 open positions, and as of Monday said they had seen more than 15,000 applications for them, 100 for each one.
One young applicant told El Pais: "The truth is I have no idea what the job is, beyond that it is at a factory. I spent from 12.30 to 4 p.m. in the line and I don't care what the work is."
Employment agency Adecco said it will be narrowing the list to 1,500 before considering candidates for the 150 listed positions.
That is, only one in 100 applicants will be hired.
Such grim figures have become commonplace in the country reeling from a crippling financial crisis.
Spain’s official unemployment rate is now nearly 25 percent, the highest level among industrialized nations.
The Spanish government Tuesday released figures that half a million people lost their jobs in the fiscal year ended September.
Moreover, the Unión General de Trabajadores labor federation revealed that an additional million people have been searching for work for at least two years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around