John Deere Advertises 150 Jobs In Madrid, 15,000 People Show Up
October 3, 2012 6:52 AM EST
The front page of Spanish newspaper El País Tuesday featured a photo of a queue: a 15,000-person strong contingent of people looking for jobs at the John Deere factory in the Getafe district of Madrid, The Telegraph reported.
John Deere had listed 150 open positions, and as of Monday said they had seen more than 15,000 applications for them, 100 for each one.
One young applicant told El Pais: "The truth is I have no idea what the job is, beyond that it is at a factory. I spent from 12.30 to 4 p.m. in the line and I don't care what the work is."
Employment agency Adecco said it will be narrowing the list to 1,500 before considering candidates for the 150 listed positions.
That is, only one in 100 applicants will be hired.
Such grim figures have become commonplace in the country reeling from a crippling financial crisis.
Spain’s official unemployment rate is now nearly 25 percent, the highest level among industrialized nations.
The Spanish government Tuesday released figures that half a million people lost their jobs in the fiscal year ended September.
Moreover, the Unión General de Trabajadores labor federation revealed that an additional million people have been searching for work for at least two years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28