John Deere Advertises 150 Jobs In Madrid, 15,000 People Show Up
October 3, 2012 6:52 AM EST
The front page of Spanish newspaper El País Tuesday featured a photo of a queue: a 15,000-person strong contingent of people looking for jobs at the John Deere factory in the Getafe district of Madrid, The Telegraph reported.
John Deere had listed 150 open positions, and as of Monday said they had seen more than 15,000 applications for them, 100 for each one.
One young applicant told El Pais: "The truth is I have no idea what the job is, beyond that it is at a factory. I spent from 12.30 to 4 p.m. in the line and I don't care what the work is."
Employment agency Adecco said it will be narrowing the list to 1,500 before considering candidates for the 150 listed positions.
That is, only one in 100 applicants will be hired.
Such grim figures have become commonplace in the country reeling from a crippling financial crisis.
Spain’s official unemployment rate is now nearly 25 percent, the highest level among industrialized nations.
The Spanish government Tuesday released figures that half a million people lost their jobs in the fiscal year ended September.
Moreover, the Unión General de Trabajadores labor federation revealed that an additional million people have been searching for work for at least two years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide