MetroPCS Shares Leap On Deutsche Telekom Bid
By David Zielenziger | October 3, 2012 6:09 AM EST
Shares of MetroPCS Communications (NYSE: PCS) leaped as much as 25 percent Tuesday after Deutsche Telekom (Pink: DYTGY) said it was bidding for a majority stake in the company.
Shares of the Richardson, Tex., mobile carrier eased back to close at $13.49, up $1.97, or 17 percent, valuing the company at $4.9 billion. That’s a far cry from the $39 billion the German company planned to sell its T-Mobile USA unit to AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T), the No. 1 telecommunications carrier, a year ago, in a deal that collapsed under U.S. government pressure.
The alliance would add 9.3 million customers to T-Mobile's 33.9 million, bolstering the Bellevue, Wash., company against AT&T; the Verizon Wireless unit of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ); the No. 2 U.S. carrier, and Sprint-Nextel Corp. (NYSE: S), the No. 3 carrier.
It also could be seen as a way for Deutsche Telekom to effectively gain a U.S. listing, by shifting T-Mobile into MetroPCS.
Deutsche Telekom, though, cautioned that it needs to resolve “significant issues” before making further announcements. Its U.S. shares closed up 32 cents at $12.55.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- NBA GMs Pick San Antonio Spurs To Repeat As NBA Champions; LeBron James To Earn 2015 MVP Award
- Cain Velasquez Injures Knee, Mark Hunt Substitutes to Contest Interim Title Against Fabricio Werdum
- University of North Carolina Under Fire For ‘Shadow Curriculum’
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop