MetroPCS Shares Leap On Deutsche Telekom Bid
By David Zielenziger | October 3, 2012 6:09 AM EST
Shares of MetroPCS Communications (NYSE: PCS) leaped as much as 25 percent Tuesday after Deutsche Telekom (Pink: DYTGY) said it was bidding for a majority stake in the company.
Shares of the Richardson, Tex., mobile carrier eased back to close at $13.49, up $1.97, or 17 percent, valuing the company at $4.9 billion. That’s a far cry from the $39 billion the German company planned to sell its T-Mobile USA unit to AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T), the No. 1 telecommunications carrier, a year ago, in a deal that collapsed under U.S. government pressure.
The alliance would add 9.3 million customers to T-Mobile's 33.9 million, bolstering the Bellevue, Wash., company against AT&T; the Verizon Wireless unit of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ); the No. 2 U.S. carrier, and Sprint-Nextel Corp. (NYSE: S), the No. 3 carrier.
It also could be seen as a way for Deutsche Telekom to effectively gain a U.S. listing, by shifting T-Mobile into MetroPCS.
Deutsche Telekom, though, cautioned that it needs to resolve “significant issues” before making further announcements. Its U.S. shares closed up 32 cents at $12.55.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- US Open Recap: Eugenie Bouchard Goes Down To Ekaterina Makarova, Poor Weather Conditions
- Kate Upton Determined To Take Down The Hacker Behind Celebrities’ Nude Photo Leak
- Ukraine 'Great War' Has Arrived; Australia Mulls More Sanctions Against Russia
- Bracing for ‘Great War’ Against Russia: NATO to Create 5,000-Strong High-Readiness Force; Baltic States Getting Anxious They Might be Next Target
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying