MetroPCS Shares Leap On Deutsche Telekom Bid
By David Zielenziger | October 3, 2012 6:09 AM EST
Shares of MetroPCS Communications (NYSE: PCS) leaped as much as 25 percent Tuesday after Deutsche Telekom (Pink: DYTGY) said it was bidding for a majority stake in the company.
Shares of the Richardson, Tex., mobile carrier eased back to close at $13.49, up $1.97, or 17 percent, valuing the company at $4.9 billion. That’s a far cry from the $39 billion the German company planned to sell its T-Mobile USA unit to AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T), the No. 1 telecommunications carrier, a year ago, in a deal that collapsed under U.S. government pressure.
The alliance would add 9.3 million customers to T-Mobile's 33.9 million, bolstering the Bellevue, Wash., company against AT&T; the Verizon Wireless unit of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ); the No. 2 U.S. carrier, and Sprint-Nextel Corp. (NYSE: S), the No. 3 carrier.
It also could be seen as a way for Deutsche Telekom to effectively gain a U.S. listing, by shifting T-Mobile into MetroPCS.
Deutsche Telekom, though, cautioned that it needs to resolve “significant issues” before making further announcements. Its U.S. shares closed up 32 cents at $12.55.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0