Nigeria: 26 Killed in Mubi University Student Hostel Shooting
By Umberto Bacchi | October 3, 2012 1:09 AM EST
Gunmen have killed at least 26 people in a student hostel in a town in northeastern Nigeria.
The massacre happened near the Mubi Federal Polytechnic campus, where student elections were being held.
"They are conducting elections in the polytechnic and unknown gunmen just entered and sprayed people with bullets," Red Cross worker Abdulkarim Bello said.
A lecturer at the university told the BBC that the assailants wore military uniforms and made the students stand in line and spell out their names before they were shot or stabbed.
The corpses were lined up outside the building, the lecturer added.
The reasons behind the attack were not known. Suspicions rested on Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram but the group has not claimed responsibility.
Members were active in the area and police had just conducted a major operation in Mubi. One of Boko Haram's senior leaders was among 156 suspects in the sweep.
Officials said that the polytechnic slaughter could have been related to the student elections.
National Emergency Management Agency spokesman Yushua Shuaib said the shooting could have been caused by a dispute between rival political gangs.
In September Boko Haram carried out a series bomb attacks against phone companies accused of helping authorities track down its members. More than 20 mobile phone masts were put out of action.
Earlier this year about 15 people were killed by a Boko Haram gunman who targeted Christians who gathered in Mubi's town hall.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports