$100 For A Carry-On Bag? Is Spirit Airlines Taking Airline Fees Too Far?
By Amethyst Tate | October 2, 2012 11:45 PM EST
Beginning Nov. 6, Spirit Airlines will raise its fee to $100 just for carry-on bags.
To put that in perspective, Spirit and Allegiant are the only two U.S. airlines that charge anything for carry-on bags.
This does not mean that other airlines are not also making money by charging customers for luggage. According to the Associated Press, airlines earn millions of dollars in revenue from baggage fees alone. Delta Air Lines Inc. earned the most revenue: close to $430 million from January through June of this year. Overall, U.S. airlines grossed more than $1.7 billion in baggage fees alone during those six months.
If you are not enthusiastic to pay $100 on Spirit Airlines for your carry-on bag, it is understandable. USA Today says that for passengers on Spirit,” the $100 one-way fee for carry-on bags will drop to $50 as of Nov. 6 if it's paid at Spirit's ticket counters or check-in kiosks.”
So essentially, the $100 fee can be looked at as a “punishment” for fliers who wait until they get to the gate to check in their bags.
While there is a way around the expensive price, the question to ask is “when will it end?” Airline fees have continuously risen over the years, from food costs to ticket prices--and consumers continue to pay the extra money.
Airlines in 2011 generated a total of $22.6 billion in revenue on bag and other travel fees, according to a report from airline consultant IdeaWorksCompany released earlier this year. That's up 66 percent over the last two years.
But evidently, there is not much we can do to stop these airlines.
Aviation consultant Michael Boyd told USA Today: "I know this is hard for a lot of us to swallow, but airlines have the right to charge as they please," Boyd says. "They are not a public service."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Designer Tom Ford Talks About Living In Early Days Of AIDS Epidemic, 'Cancer Was Something To Celebrate'
- Arsenal FC Injury News: Giroud And Wilshere Set To Return, Gibbs Possibly Available Against Burnley
- Miley Cyrus Flaunts Cleavage: Singer Wears Bondage Style Dress For amfAR Gala [See Pictures]
- Arsenal FC: 'I am starting to settle down now' - Calum Chambers
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Hallow's End And The Latest Resolved Issues Regarding The 'WoW' User Interface, Classes, Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy