$100 For A Carry-On Bag? Is Spirit Airlines Taking Airline Fees Too Far?
By Amethyst Tate | October 2, 2012 11:45 PM EST
Beginning Nov. 6, Spirit Airlines will raise its fee to $100 just for carry-on bags.
To put that in perspective, Spirit and Allegiant are the only two U.S. airlines that charge anything for carry-on bags.
This does not mean that other airlines are not also making money by charging customers for luggage. According to the Associated Press, airlines earn millions of dollars in revenue from baggage fees alone. Delta Air Lines Inc. earned the most revenue: close to $430 million from January through June of this year. Overall, U.S. airlines grossed more than $1.7 billion in baggage fees alone during those six months.
If you are not enthusiastic to pay $100 on Spirit Airlines for your carry-on bag, it is understandable. USA Today says that for passengers on Spirit,” the $100 one-way fee for carry-on bags will drop to $50 as of Nov. 6 if it's paid at Spirit's ticket counters or check-in kiosks.”
So essentially, the $100 fee can be looked at as a “punishment” for fliers who wait until they get to the gate to check in their bags.
While there is a way around the expensive price, the question to ask is “when will it end?” Airline fees have continuously risen over the years, from food costs to ticket prices--and consumers continue to pay the extra money.
Airlines in 2011 generated a total of $22.6 billion in revenue on bag and other travel fees, according to a report from airline consultant IdeaWorksCompany released earlier this year. That's up 66 percent over the last two years.
But evidently, there is not much we can do to stop these airlines.
Aviation consultant Michael Boyd told USA Today: "I know this is hard for a lot of us to swallow, but airlines have the right to charge as they please," Boyd says. "They are not a public service."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Medibank IPO Seeks To Raise $4.8B Capital, Biggest Share Launch In Asia For 2014
- The OS X Yosemite is Available for Upgrade: How to Make Your Mac Ready For the Upgrade
- ‘The Blacklist’ Season 2 Episode 5 Spoilers: 'NCIS' Actress Holds Key To Red’s Past, Liz In Hospital In The Front [VIDEO]
- Fappening: Sting Operation Saves California Model Madison Louch From Becoming Next Celebrity Nude Leak Victim
- BlackBerry Passport’s Demand Skyrocketing Says CEO John Chen, Plus BlackBerry Z3 In The Offing Alongside Classic
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage