$100 For A Carry-On Bag? Is Spirit Airlines Taking Airline Fees Too Far?
By Amethyst Tate | October 2, 2012 11:45 PM EST
Beginning Nov. 6, Spirit Airlines will raise its fee to $100 just for carry-on bags.
To put that in perspective, Spirit and Allegiant are the only two U.S. airlines that charge anything for carry-on bags.
This does not mean that other airlines are not also making money by charging customers for luggage. According to the Associated Press, airlines earn millions of dollars in revenue from baggage fees alone. Delta Air Lines Inc. earned the most revenue: close to $430 million from January through June of this year. Overall, U.S. airlines grossed more than $1.7 billion in baggage fees alone during those six months.
If you are not enthusiastic to pay $100 on Spirit Airlines for your carry-on bag, it is understandable. USA Today says that for passengers on Spirit,” the $100 one-way fee for carry-on bags will drop to $50 as of Nov. 6 if it's paid at Spirit's ticket counters or check-in kiosks.”
So essentially, the $100 fee can be looked at as a “punishment” for fliers who wait until they get to the gate to check in their bags.
While there is a way around the expensive price, the question to ask is “when will it end?” Airline fees have continuously risen over the years, from food costs to ticket prices--and consumers continue to pay the extra money.
Airlines in 2011 generated a total of $22.6 billion in revenue on bag and other travel fees, according to a report from airline consultant IdeaWorksCompany released earlier this year. That's up 66 percent over the last two years.
But evidently, there is not much we can do to stop these airlines.
Aviation consultant Michael Boyd told USA Today: "I know this is hard for a lot of us to swallow, but airlines have the right to charge as they please," Boyd says. "They are not a public service."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How