Galaxy S I9000 gets latest Android
4.1.1 update: Google
Recently, Galaxy S I9000 received the Jelly Bean update based on AOKP build 3 ROM. Now the smartphone joins the list of Galaxy smartphones (Galaxy S3 I9300, Galaxy S2 I9100 and Galaxy S2 I9100G) to get the latest Android 4.1.1 update, thanks to the newest custom ROM - AOKP Build 4. The latest version of AOKP custom ROM is reportedly the most stable version available yet, and requires your phone to be rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
AOKP Build 4 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Features
- Custom NavBar Ring on tablets
- Force dual panel view on any device
- Flip or shake your device to snooze/dismiss the alarm (check alarm settings)
- Take screenshot from NavBar
- Enabled USB mass storage emulation for certain devices (i9*)
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the international version Galaxy S I9000 . It will not work with any other model. Verify your phone's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- This is not an official firmware update. Rather, it is a custom ROM based on AOSP release of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing AOKP Build 4 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update, as it is a custom ROM.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that you have installed the correct USB drivers for your Galaxy S to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S I9000 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer options. This feature helps in connecting your Android phone with the computer.
- Make sure that your phone's battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the AOKP ROMs or installing the latest Jelly Bean update.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your phone's apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the firmware update.
- Ensure that your phone is factory unlocked and rooted. Also, CWM recovery must be installed on it, before proceeding with the AOKP ROM installation procedure.
How to Install AOKP Build 4 Based Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S I9000
Step 1 - Download AOKP Build 4 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM and Google Apps for your Galaxy S on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S USB mass storage on your computer with an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.1.1 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone, unplug the USB cable from the computer and then boot into recovery mode.
Step 5 - To do this, press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device boots into recovery mode.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse and locate the flash zip from SD card option and hit the power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the power button again and click choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to browse and select the Android 4.1.1 ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card, and select it by tapping the power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure will begin.
NOTE: Repeat the same step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and click on reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes. So, leave it alone.
AOKP Build 4 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S I9000. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: