Liverpool Transfer News: Ozil, Ba, Sahin and Carroll Involved in Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | October 2, 2012 6:49 AM EST
Liverpool are considering a move for Real Madrid star Mesut Ozil, according to the People. The Germany international has been less of a first choice under Jose Mourinho in recent weeks and there has also been speculation about his behavior away from the pitch.
Ozil’s decline in game time of late is said to have been in part down to Mourinho's concerns about the 23-year-old’s overly active social life.
The attacking midfielder even took on his personal Facebook page to deny the allegations.
"About the rumor I go often out at night: It's not true!” he said. “Since new season started, I was almost never out. I train and work as a professional.”
Ozil has impressed since arriving from Werder Bremen in the summer of 2010, but his form has been inconsistent this season and his place has also come under threat from new signing Luka Modric.
Liverpool are said to be monitoring the situation and have already taken one former Bundesliga player on-loan from Real in recent times in Nuri Sahin. A deal for Ozil looks far less likely, however. Even if he were to leave the Bernabeu, it is difficult to envisage the Reds enticing a player of Ozil’s stature to join a club that cannot offer Champions League soccer.
Liverpool could be speaking regularly with Real in the coming months, with the Reds also eager to sign Sahin on a permanent transfer, according to Spanish publication Marca. After a slow start as he gained match fitness, the Turkish international has begun to impress for Brendan Rodgers’ side. Having scored twice against West Brom in the Capital One Cup last week, the 24-year-old added to his burgeoning tally with another strike against Norwich on Saturday.
There is reported to be no option for Liverpool to buy Sahin outright at the end of his loan deal, so negotiations with Real will have to begin from scratch.
While Sahin’s recent goal rush has been a welcome blessing, Liverpool remain desperate for a striker to take the pressure off Saturday’s hat-trick hero Luis Suarez. Rodgers looks all-but certain to move for a center forward in January, with Demba Ba the latest name to be linked.
Metro claims that Newcastle are unwilling to meet the Senegalese front man’s wage demands, opening the way for Liverpool to make their move. Ba has a much publicized £7.5 million release clause in his contract.
After scoring 17 times in the Premier League last season, Ba currently leads the scoring charts this term with six goals to his name.
A move for Ba could be smoothed over with Newcastle said to maintain an interest in Liverpool striker Andy Carroll. The England international was linked with a move back to his former club in the summer before eventually joining West Ham on a season-long loan deal. Liverpool have an option to recall their £35 million signing in January, meaning a move to Newcastle would be feasible.
Carroll is said to favor a move back to the North East should he leave Anfield, though doubts remain about Newcastle’s willingness to meet Liverpool’s asking price.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6 vs. LG G3 – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Comparison
- New Zealand SAS Training Of Iraqi Forces 'Possible'; John Key May Follow Tony Abbott
- Lamar Odom Could Be On His Way Back To Khloe’s Heart After Week Of Efforts To Win Her Back
- HTC Desire Eye vs. OnePlus One – Specifications, Features And Price Comparison
- San Franciso Radio Stations Remove Lorde's 'Royals' Song From Playlist Days Ahead of World Series
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage