Liverpool Transfer News: Ozil, Ba, Sahin and Carroll Involved in Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | October 2, 2012 6:49 AM EST
Liverpool are considering a move for Real Madrid star Mesut Ozil, according to the People. The Germany international has been less of a first choice under Jose Mourinho in recent weeks and there has also been speculation about his behavior away from the pitch.
Ozil’s decline in game time of late is said to have been in part down to Mourinho's concerns about the 23-year-old’s overly active social life.
The attacking midfielder even took on his personal Facebook page to deny the allegations.
"About the rumor I go often out at night: It's not true!” he said. “Since new season started, I was almost never out. I train and work as a professional.”
Ozil has impressed since arriving from Werder Bremen in the summer of 2010, but his form has been inconsistent this season and his place has also come under threat from new signing Luka Modric.
Liverpool are said to be monitoring the situation and have already taken one former Bundesliga player on-loan from Real in recent times in Nuri Sahin. A deal for Ozil looks far less likely, however. Even if he were to leave the Bernabeu, it is difficult to envisage the Reds enticing a player of Ozil’s stature to join a club that cannot offer Champions League soccer.
Liverpool could be speaking regularly with Real in the coming months, with the Reds also eager to sign Sahin on a permanent transfer, according to Spanish publication Marca. After a slow start as he gained match fitness, the Turkish international has begun to impress for Brendan Rodgers’ side. Having scored twice against West Brom in the Capital One Cup last week, the 24-year-old added to his burgeoning tally with another strike against Norwich on Saturday.
There is reported to be no option for Liverpool to buy Sahin outright at the end of his loan deal, so negotiations with Real will have to begin from scratch.
While Sahin’s recent goal rush has been a welcome blessing, Liverpool remain desperate for a striker to take the pressure off Saturday’s hat-trick hero Luis Suarez. Rodgers looks all-but certain to move for a center forward in January, with Demba Ba the latest name to be linked.
Metro claims that Newcastle are unwilling to meet the Senegalese front man’s wage demands, opening the way for Liverpool to make their move. Ba has a much publicized £7.5 million release clause in his contract.
After scoring 17 times in the Premier League last season, Ba currently leads the scoring charts this term with six goals to his name.
A move for Ba could be smoothed over with Newcastle said to maintain an interest in Liverpool striker Andy Carroll. The England international was linked with a move back to his former club in the summer before eventually joining West Ham on a season-long loan deal. Liverpool have an option to recall their £35 million signing in January, meaning a move to Newcastle would be feasible.
Carroll is said to favor a move back to the North East should he leave Anfield, though doubts remain about Newcastle’s willingness to meet Liverpool’s asking price.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Sign AS Monaco Attacker James Rodriguez, Will be Unveiled Immediately
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ S06E05 Recap: A One-Man Group Performer, Piano-Playing Berklee Student and Boy Band from Brisbane Steal the Show [VIDEOS]
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Revenge Season 4 Spoilers: Emily Thorne vs Queen V, Conrad Grayson vs David Clarke, Jack Porter vs Ben in Speculations
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June