Chelsea Transfer News: Ronaldo, Falcao, Lampard and Cole Involved in Latest Speculation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 2, 2012 5:30 AM EST
Chelsea are said to be in the running to sign Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, as speculation continues about the future of the Portuguese forward. The 27-year-old’s desire for a 50 percent increase in his wages at the Bernabeu has alerted Chelsea, along with fellow big spenders Manchester city and Paris Saint-Germain, according to the Daily Mail.
Ronaldo recently revealed that he was unhappy with certain events at Real, with a narrative emerging that he feels his contribution is not being adequately reflected in his salary with the La Liga champions. Currently Ronaldo is thought to be the 10th best player in the world.
Real broke the transfer record when they signed Ronaldo from Manchester United for £80 million in 2009 and any potential deal is likely to have to eclipse that fee.
Despite all the speculation, it remains difficult to envisage Ronaldo leaving Real any time soon. With Financial Fair Play rules soon coming into effect, Chelsea would also have to be wary about spending so heavily on one player—even Ronaldo.
Far more likely is that Chelsea’s next major signing will be a leading striker. The man that continues to be linked with a move to Stamford Bridge is Radamel Falcao, with the Daily Star claiming that his £45 million buyout clause could be met by the Blues in January.
The Colombian was linked to Chelsea over the summer and certainly will have impressed the powers that be at Stamford Bridge after hitting a first-half hat-trick against them in the UEFA Super Cup.
“I am sure he has caught the eye of every top club in the world, said Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo, according to the Star. “He is a good player.”
While Fernando Torres scored a fine goal against Arsenal on Saturday, doubts persist about his ability to regain his best form. With Daniel Sturridge as the only established alternative in the center forward role, the next transfer window could well see a big-name arrival in that position.
If reports are to be believed, two big names could soon be bidding farewell to Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea’s policy of not handing longer than one-year contracts to players over the age of 30 is putting the future of both Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole in jeopardy, according to the People. Lampard, 34, and Cole, 31, will both be out of contract next summer unless an agreement is reached.
Perhaps crucially the English veterans will also be able to negotiate pre-contract agreements with foreign clubs from January.
Paris Saint-Germain, managed by former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti, are said to be pursuing an interest in left-back Cole. Lampard, meanwhile, is set to be offered a two-year deal by Major League Soccer club Los Angeles Galaxy.
Chelsea would be loathed to lose Cole, who remains first choice for club and country and is likely to have at least a couple of seasons left at the highest level. The same may not be true for the older Lampard. While Di Matteo has not tried to faze the midfielder out in the same way as his predecessor, Andre Villas-Boas did, there may be an acceptance that Lampard is reaching the end of his shelf life at Stamford Bridge. It is also thought that Lampard would be keen on a move to the United States.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Prince Harry Spotted Leaving Restaurant In London Followed By Ladies, Ignites Dating Reports
- ‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Update Round-Up: Moriarty’s Return, Devastating Plan, One-Off Episode
- Secrets Revealed About Pippa Middleton's Firm Bum
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- 'The Bachelor Australia': Season 1 Couple Anna Heinrich, Tim Robard's Marriage Plan
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS