Apple iPhone 5 Carrier Update For Verizon Fixes Bug Causing Cellular Data Usage Even on Wi-Fi
By Kukil Bora | October 1, 2012 3:03 PM EST
Apple issued a carrier update for the Verizon variant of the new iPhone 5 Sunday that claimed to fix a bug which, in some cases, caused the device to use the Verizon cellular data despite being connected to Wi-Fi network.
3. Tap OK to install the update.
4. Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until you see "slide to power off".
6. Slide to power off.
7. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn your phone back on.
Note: To finish the installation of the update, your iPhone 5 must be turned off and then on again.
After your iPhone restarts, tap Settings > General > About, then scroll down to Carrier and verify that "Verizon 13.1" is displayed.
While the update has to be performed manually, it is delivered over-the-air (OTA). Although Apple described the update as an “important new carrier settings update,” the company didn’t provide many details on how and when these circumstances might occur, MacRumors reported.
9TO5Mac said that the issue in question could be “a carryover from the Wifi+Cellular feature that was in the betas of iOS 6 but was eliminated in the final version.”
The carrier update was preceded by a number of iPhone 5 users, who flooded Apple’s Support Communities webpage with complaints about the new handset racking up data charges while connected to Wi-Fi networks.
According to some users, the issue occurred due to some hardware problem with the iPhone 5. On the other hand, some other users believed that the issue was related to iOS 6.
“The first two days after I received my iPhone 5, I racked up 400MB of Cellular Data. 99% of the time I was using my phone, I was connected over WiFi. So I ran a test on my own by watching a YouTube video over WiFi and then looking at my Cellular Data under the Usage menu. Sure enough, it had went up by around 10MB,” wrote one user. “I called into Apple Support and asked them what was going on. They thought that it might have been a problem with my phone or my house's WiFi connection. After them walking me through a series of test and restores, the lady semi-acknowledged that it could be a problem with how their phone interacts with the new LTE network.”
“I think a "finicky" wifi in IOS 6 is the culprit here! I do not have a cell data plan (in fact, I even have it switched off from the network settings) and since upgrading to IOS6 internet over wifi has been extremely unstable, with the connection being constantly dropped,” said another user. “So I am guessing that if your wifi connection is also being intermittently dropped the phone will have to resort to the cell data to download whatever content.”
In another thread over at Apple’s Support Communities webpage, many users of older iPhones, especially the iPhone 4 and 4S, also raised complaints about excessive data use after upgrading their devices to the latest iOS 6.
According to Apple Insider, even if the new update is meant for Verizon customers, some thread posts did report similar issues with AT&T as well. However, the legitimacy of those claims has not yet been verified.
Will Verizon offer refunds to users affected by the glitch? Well, we’ll have to wait and see.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- Nokia Lumia 530: Windows Phone Handset Now On Sale In The UK With £87 Price
- Xbox One VS. PS4 At PAX Prime 2014:18 Games On Sale And A Lineup Of Xbox Games Revealed
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge