Gerrard Laments Liverpool Ambition
By Nick Howson | October 1, 2012 7:36 AM EST
Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard admits the club need a miracle if they are to win the Premier League title before he retires.
With The Reds having gone 22 years without a top-flight success, expectations have altered with the club now struggling to compete for qualification for the Champions League.
And Gerrard, who has a full set of domestic and European medals for Liverpool, says adding a Premier League title to his remarkable career is unlikely.
"It'll be a miracle if we win the title before I finish," Gerrard said.
"I say that because of my age and the situation with rivalries. The league has become more difficult to win."
"There's not just [Manchester] United and Arsenal now but [Manchester] City, Chelsea and Tottenham. Newcastle are coming as well.
"We were eighth last year. If this season goes well, we get a bit of luck, improve, we have a 50-50 chance of being in the top four. That's being realistic. It's achievable.
"Even if we do sneak into the top four, I'll be 33 at the end of the season, so that's why it'll be a miracle if we win the title before I finish.
"But I'll keep fighting. I'll keep trying and see what happens."
The 32 year old is one of the few players in the modern era of the Premier League to have never moved clubs during his career having stayed at Liverpool since joining the club aged eight; at the expense of his domestic title ambitions.
Gerrard twice turned down moves from Liverpool to Chelsea in 2004 and 2005 amid The Blues' back-to-back title success.
But now the England international's ambitions extend to extending his career for as long as he can and emulate the longevity of Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.
"I think I can play at this level for quite a while," Gerrard added.
"I'm not looking for a new contract but I'm hoping next year will not be my last. I'll know when I'm ready to go.
"It's getting more difficult for older players. It shows how well Giggs and Scholes have done.
"You need a manager who'll play you at the right times - which is what Brendan Rodgers is doing with myself now."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored