Gerrard Laments Liverpool Ambition
By Nick Howson | October 1, 2012 7:36 AM EST
Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard admits the club need a miracle if they are to win the Premier League title before he retires.
With The Reds having gone 22 years without a top-flight success, expectations have altered with the club now struggling to compete for qualification for the Champions League.
And Gerrard, who has a full set of domestic and European medals for Liverpool, says adding a Premier League title to his remarkable career is unlikely.
"It'll be a miracle if we win the title before I finish," Gerrard said.
"I say that because of my age and the situation with rivalries. The league has become more difficult to win."
"There's not just [Manchester] United and Arsenal now but [Manchester] City, Chelsea and Tottenham. Newcastle are coming as well.
"We were eighth last year. If this season goes well, we get a bit of luck, improve, we have a 50-50 chance of being in the top four. That's being realistic. It's achievable.
"Even if we do sneak into the top four, I'll be 33 at the end of the season, so that's why it'll be a miracle if we win the title before I finish.
"But I'll keep fighting. I'll keep trying and see what happens."
The 32 year old is one of the few players in the modern era of the Premier League to have never moved clubs during his career having stayed at Liverpool since joining the club aged eight; at the expense of his domestic title ambitions.
Gerrard twice turned down moves from Liverpool to Chelsea in 2004 and 2005 amid The Blues' back-to-back title success.
But now the England international's ambitions extend to extending his career for as long as he can and emulate the longevity of Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.
"I think I can play at this level for quite a while," Gerrard added.
"I'm not looking for a new contract but I'm hoping next year will not be my last. I'll know when I'm ready to go.
"It's getting more difficult for older players. It shows how well Giggs and Scholes have done.
"You need a manager who'll play you at the right times - which is what Brendan Rodgers is doing with myself now."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports