Wenger Admits Hazard Interest
By Nick Howson | October 1, 2012 2:07 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says Arsenal were interested in signing Chelsea winger Eden Hazard during the summer transfer window.
The Belgian international move from Lille to west London in the summer, and has ably fit in at his new club.
And following the snub from Hazard, he was snubbed further by his role in Chelsea's win at The Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
"Yes,'' Wenger said when asked about a move for Hazard. The transfer price was fixed, because he had a clause, so everybody was at the same level.
"He has been voted best player of the French league two consecutive years. You need some quality to do that at his age. I'm not surprised at all that he goes to Chelsea, and straight away is one of their stars because everybody knew about him.
"Let's not forget that all the big budgets in England were after him. We are not scared to spend the money, but we feel that even if we spend our money, with some clubs we can't compete on certain players."
The Gunners eventually settled for signing Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla, with all three players having contributed to the club's impressive start to the season.
However, Arsenal were stopped in their tracks when faced with Premier League leaders, as Fernando Torres and Juan Mata's goals secured a 2-1 victory.
While Arsenal's summer transfer policy worked to preempt future departures, Chelsea brought in a series of creative players in order to adapt their playing style.
Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin have all been signed to help bring a more fluid style to Stamford Bridge, the Arsenal boss welcomes the challenge presented by The Blues.
"Chelsea have gone with a different style, they have rejuvenated because they bought some very young players with maybe a more technical style,'' Wenger said.
"They have gone a little bit more creative. Until now it has worked well for them so it is a good challenge for us to beat them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS