Wenger Admits Hazard Interest
By Nick Howson | October 1, 2012 2:07 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says Arsenal were interested in signing Chelsea winger Eden Hazard during the summer transfer window.
The Belgian international move from Lille to west London in the summer, and has ably fit in at his new club.
And following the snub from Hazard, he was snubbed further by his role in Chelsea's win at The Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
"Yes,'' Wenger said when asked about a move for Hazard. The transfer price was fixed, because he had a clause, so everybody was at the same level.
"He has been voted best player of the French league two consecutive years. You need some quality to do that at his age. I'm not surprised at all that he goes to Chelsea, and straight away is one of their stars because everybody knew about him.
"Let's not forget that all the big budgets in England were after him. We are not scared to spend the money, but we feel that even if we spend our money, with some clubs we can't compete on certain players."
The Gunners eventually settled for signing Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla, with all three players having contributed to the club's impressive start to the season.
However, Arsenal were stopped in their tracks when faced with Premier League leaders, as Fernando Torres and Juan Mata's goals secured a 2-1 victory.
While Arsenal's summer transfer policy worked to preempt future departures, Chelsea brought in a series of creative players in order to adapt their playing style.
Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin have all been signed to help bring a more fluid style to Stamford Bridge, the Arsenal boss welcomes the challenge presented by The Blues.
"Chelsea have gone with a different style, they have rejuvenated because they bought some very young players with maybe a more technical style,'' Wenger said.
"They have gone a little bit more creative. Until now it has worked well for them so it is a good challenge for us to beat them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar