Wenger Admits Hazard Interest
By Nick Howson | October 1, 2012 2:07 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says Arsenal were interested in signing Chelsea winger Eden Hazard during the summer transfer window.
The Belgian international move from Lille to west London in the summer, and has ably fit in at his new club.
And following the snub from Hazard, he was snubbed further by his role in Chelsea's win at The Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
"Yes,'' Wenger said when asked about a move for Hazard. The transfer price was fixed, because he had a clause, so everybody was at the same level.
"He has been voted best player of the French league two consecutive years. You need some quality to do that at his age. I'm not surprised at all that he goes to Chelsea, and straight away is one of their stars because everybody knew about him.
"Let's not forget that all the big budgets in England were after him. We are not scared to spend the money, but we feel that even if we spend our money, with some clubs we can't compete on certain players."
The Gunners eventually settled for signing Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla, with all three players having contributed to the club's impressive start to the season.
However, Arsenal were stopped in their tracks when faced with Premier League leaders, as Fernando Torres and Juan Mata's goals secured a 2-1 victory.
While Arsenal's summer transfer policy worked to preempt future departures, Chelsea brought in a series of creative players in order to adapt their playing style.
Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin have all been signed to help bring a more fluid style to Stamford Bridge, the Arsenal boss welcomes the challenge presented by The Blues.
"Chelsea have gone with a different style, they have rejuvenated because they bought some very young players with maybe a more technical style,'' Wenger said.
"They have gone a little bit more creative. Until now it has worked well for them so it is a good challenge for us to beat them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman