Arsenal Handed January Blow over French Defender
By Nick Howson | October 1, 2012 1:11 AM EST
Arsenal's hopes of making a renewed bid for Montpellier defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa have been scuppered by news the French club have no intention of selling the 23 year old in the January transfer window.
The France international was close to joining AC Milan in the summer, but the move fell through with the two teams unable to agree a fee.
Yanga-Mbiwa had also revealed that Arsenal had enquired about his services, and any hopes the Premier League side had of renewing their efforts to sign him might have been dashed.
"Is there any possibility that Yanga-Mbiwa will leave in January? Absolutely not," Nicollin told calciomercato.com.
"We're working on extending Yanga-Mbiwa's contract. In any case, the only thing that's certain at the moment is that Yanga-Mbiwa won't leave in January.
"Are Juventus and Barcelona are also interested in Yanga-Mbiwa? To be honest, nobody has asked us about him. I don't know if any clubs have been in contact with Yanga-Mbiwa's agent, and I honestly don't care."
The Gunners were able to bring in Santi Cazorla, Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud this summer, but failed to add to a defence, which has often been injury prone.
Alex Song, who can also be used in defence, left in the summer, along with Robin Van Persie, but Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has opted to stay put, with the likes of Ignasi Miguel in reserve, alongside Johan Djourou.
Yanga-Mbiwa said earlier this season: "Milan wanted me, but even though my president was ready to sell me, the deal didn't go through in the end.
"I was really disappointed about not joining Milan, but our president is the owner of the club and he must be respected.
"Milan made an offer but it was rejected. It was then I understood that it would be difficult for me to leave Montpellier.
"Arsenal also tried to sign me, but I had my attention elsewhere."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools