Arsenal Handed January Blow over French Defender
By Nick Howson | October 1, 2012 1:11 AM EST
Arsenal's hopes of making a renewed bid for Montpellier defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa have been scuppered by news the French club have no intention of selling the 23 year old in the January transfer window.
The France international was close to joining AC Milan in the summer, but the move fell through with the two teams unable to agree a fee.
Yanga-Mbiwa had also revealed that Arsenal had enquired about his services, and any hopes the Premier League side had of renewing their efforts to sign him might have been dashed.
"Is there any possibility that Yanga-Mbiwa will leave in January? Absolutely not," Nicollin told calciomercato.com.
"We're working on extending Yanga-Mbiwa's contract. In any case, the only thing that's certain at the moment is that Yanga-Mbiwa won't leave in January.
"Are Juventus and Barcelona are also interested in Yanga-Mbiwa? To be honest, nobody has asked us about him. I don't know if any clubs have been in contact with Yanga-Mbiwa's agent, and I honestly don't care."
The Gunners were able to bring in Santi Cazorla, Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud this summer, but failed to add to a defence, which has often been injury prone.
Alex Song, who can also be used in defence, left in the summer, along with Robin Van Persie, but Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has opted to stay put, with the likes of Ignasi Miguel in reserve, alongside Johan Djourou.
Yanga-Mbiwa said earlier this season: "Milan wanted me, but even though my president was ready to sell me, the deal didn't go through in the end.
"I was really disappointed about not joining Milan, but our president is the owner of the club and he must be respected.
"Milan made an offer but it was rejected. It was then I understood that it would be difficult for me to leave Montpellier.
"Arsenal also tried to sign me, but I had my attention elsewhere."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone