Latest build of AOKP Jelly Bean ROM released for Galaxy Tab 8.9.
An unofficial AOKP Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) ROM has been released for the LTE version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (model number I957). One of the features on offer in this ROM is a boost to the original clock speed of the dual core 1.5GHz processor, to 1.8GHz. However, the developer highlights some issues with the update:
ROM control - vibration menu item FC ROM control
USB devices do not have an unmount option in task tray
Possible connect to computer issue (unknown for Windows OS)
No Near Field Communication (NFC)
If these shortcomings don't put you off and you're looking to update, follow these instructions. IBTimes UK warns readers it will not be held responsible for damage during installation. Users are advised to back up data, ensure tablet is rooted and there is at least 80 percent battery charge. In addition, ensure USB debugging mode is enabled (to do so, browse to Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging). This update works only with the LTE version of the Galaxy Tab 8.9 (I957).
To Install Android 4.1.1 AOKP for Galaxy Tab 8.9 I957
- Download Android 4.1.1 AOKP ROM to computer
- Download Google Apps package
- Connect device via USB cable and download both files to SD card
- Disconnect and switch device off. Restart in Recovery Mode (to do so, use the ROM Manager app from the Google Play Store)
- In Recovery Mode, select Install Zip from SD Card and select Choose Zip from SD Card. Browse to AOKP Jelly Bean ROM, select and confirm installation
- After installation, repeat above step for Google Apps package
- After installation, return to main Recovery Menu and reboot device. This may take a few minutes
- Note: If device does not come on or is stuck during installation, switch it on pressing the Power button or remove and re-insert battery to start installation from scratch
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE is now running Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean ROM. Verify software version by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
[Source: Android Advice]
To contact the editor, e-mail: