City and Liverpool to Tempt Arsenal Star - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 30, 2012 7:56 PM EST
Manchester City and Liverpool are reportedly prepared to offer Arsenal winger Theo Walcott a way out of the Emirates. The 23-year-old is currently negotiating an extension to his contract, which expires next summer. However, progress has been halting at best, with disputes over pay and the player's position.
Walcott has asked for a more central position at the club, a striker's role. This is something Arsene Wenger is reportedly considering but the manager has insisted he will not be rushed into playing Walcott there and will do so only when he feels it is the right time. In addition, the club is unwilling to improve on its present offer of £80,000 per week (Metro reports Walcott is asking for £100,000). This stand-off could see the England international leave the club, maybe even in January, as Wenger will want to avoid losing him for free next year.
Should Walcott move to either City or Liverpool, will he get his wish to play, regularly, as a striker? That is unlikely... particularly at City, where Sergio Aguero, Carlos Tevez, Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko will stand ahead of him in the pecking order. The list is slightly less daunting at Anfield, with only Luis Suarez and Fabio Borini as first-choice strikers. However, given Suarez's form (he scored a hat-trick against Norwich City to lead the club to their first Premier League win of the season) and the fact that new signing Borini - a striker by trade - has been shifted out wide to accommodate the Uruguayan, Walcott may not fancy that move either.
If a striker's role is so important to him, a shift to the Italian league may not be a bad idea. For all his faults, Walcott has pace to spare, a serious advantage in Italian football. But here too, he will have to contend with the likes of Mirko Vucinic, Fabio Quagliarella, Alessandro Matri and Emanuele Giaccherini, not to mention the on-loan Nicklas Bendtner.
It seems Walcott will, as Wenger suggests, have to bide his time and wait to be deployed as a striker. In any case, his future at the Emirates still hinges on impressing Wenger enough to agree to that wage demand and change in position, and the best way to do that is on the pitch.
Walcott is expected to start for Arsenal in their Champions League game midweek, against Greek side Olympiacos and with a deadline hanging over his head, he would be well advised to start putting in consistent performances.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists