French Club to Poach Chelsea Defender - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 30, 2012 6:12 PM EST
French giants Paris St Germain (PSG) are reportedly set to offer Chelsea defender Ashley Cole a pre-contract in January. The 31 year old England international is in the final season of his contract at Stamford Bridge and negotiations over a new deal are stalling because of disputes over contract length.
The reigning European champions' policy is to offer players over 30 a short-term contract (usually one year). However, Cole is reportedly looking for a longer deal. The Blues' desire to move towards a younger side has become very apparent over the summer... a period in which veterans over or approaching 30, like Florent Malouda, Raul Meirles and Jose Bosingwa were allowed to leave for younger players like Eden Hazard, Oscar, Cesar Azpilicueta and Marko Marin. A similar situation to Cole's is now developing over midfielder Frank Lampard, whose contract too expires next summer. The 34 year old is reportedly a target for American Major League Soccer (MLS) club Los Angeles Galaxy.
Should Cole listen to and opt for a switch to the Parc des Princes, not only would he be assured a giant pay package and the opportunity to play with stars like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva but also the chance to reunite with former Chelsea coach Carlo Ancelotti. However, the former AC Milan boss was quoted as saying, earlier this year, he was not interested in the former Arsenal defender.
Torres on Arsenal Win
Meanwhile, Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has lavished praise on his club, after a 2-1 win over Arsenal at the Emirates. The visitors and league leaders took the lead after the Spaniard scored in the first half, only to see Ivory Coast international Gervinho equalise. Spain won the day, however, with Torres' national team mate, Juan Mata firing home a free kick just before the hour mark to seal all three points.
"We knew before the game that we wanted to improve the results we had last season against the top teams. One of the main targets we have this season was winning these kind of games. For us to win against the top teams is very important because not having very good results against them last season was one of the reasons why we didn't finish in the top four," Torres stressed to the club's Web site, after the game.
Chelsea remain at the top of Premier League table and extend their lead over Manchester United, after the Red Devils slumped to a 2-3 home defeat against Spurs. Arsenal, meanwhile, drop behind West Brom to seventh, with nine points from six games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide