Galaxy S I9000 users finally get access to fully-working features on Android
4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) OS, thanks to the release of latest custom ROM – AOKP build 3 Photo: Google
Samsung Galaxy S I9000 users can finally enjoy all the features of Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) OS, thanks to the release of the latest custom ROM - AOKP build 3. ClockworkMod recovery must be installed before trying to update the Galaxy S I9000 to the AOKP build 3 based Jelly Bean.
What New Features You Will Get
- SMS QuickReply
- Expert Calculator functions (Graph, Matrices, etc.)
- IME Switcher & Vib/Ring toggle as NavRing target
- Stopwatch & Countdown in the Clock app (CyanogenMOD)
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the international version Galaxy S I9000 model and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- Do a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after installing the AOKP build 3 based Jelly Bean update, as this is a custom ROM.
- This is not an official firmware, but a custom ROM based on AOSP release of the Jelly Bean update.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings (including bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the AOKP firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy S phone to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S I9000 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode to help connect your Android phone with the computer.
- Verify that the phone battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROMs or installing the AOKP based Jelly Bean update.
- Make sure that your phone's bootloader is factory unlocked and ClockworkMod recovery installed on it.
How to Install AOKP Build 3 based Android 4.1.1 1Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S i9000
Step 1 - Download Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1 AOKP Build 3 and Google Apps for Galaxy S on your computer separately.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S USB mass storage on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.1.1 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and unplug its USB cable connected to the computer.
Step 5 - Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together to boot up into recovery mode.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse and select flash zip from SD card option, and finally tap the power button to begin flashing.
Step 7 - Hit the power button again and click choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 - Now, use volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.1.1 ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card in step 3 and select it tapping the power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
NOTE: Repeat the same step for installing from Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will restart now and the first boot may take about 5 minutes. So, please be patient.
AOKP Build 3 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update is now installed on your Galaxy S I9000. Navigate to Settings > About phone to confirm the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: