iOS 6 can can be downgraded back to iOS 5.1.1 using the latest version of RedSn0w.
The iPhone Dev Team's RedSn0w programme offered a jailbreak of the iOS 6 software soon after Apple released the new operating system. The jailbreak reportedly works with A4 devices (the iPhone 4, iPhone 3G and the iPod Touch (4th generation). There is still no news on a jailbreak for the iPhone 4S. However, there is news that users of A4 devices jailbroken to iOS 6 can now revert to iOS 5.1.1, should they want to. The downgrade is simple, provided users have SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1.
Follow these instructions for the downgrade. IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device. Users are advised to back up all important data before proceeding and ensure they have the latest version of RedSn0w.
To Downgrade iOS 6 to iOS 5 on A4 Devices
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.14b2
- Download 5.1.1 IPSW
- Navigate to SHSH blob for iOS 5.1.1 (stored either on the computer or Cydia) and place blobs in same folder as 5.1.1 IPSW file. If file is already saved in Cydia, continue with next step
- Place device in DFU Mode
- Open RedSn0w and click Extra > SHSH Blobs > Stitch
- Now click IPSW and select iOS 5.1.1 IPSW
- If blobs are saved on Cydia, click Cydia in Blobs section. If they are saved locally, click Local and select appropriate SHSH Blob for iOS 5.1.1
- Once selected, RedSn0w will stitch files to create firmware file for iOS 5.1.1. Use this to downgrade
- In RedSn0w, retreat two pages and click Pwned DFU. The device will now go into selected mode, so iTunes can restore older software
- Open iTunes (it should detect device in Recovery Mode). Hold Option and click on Restore and select stitched file (the file's name will be a 13 number serial at the start, which is the device's ECID
- Allow iTunes to completely restore the device (Note: There may be an Error-1 message, which can be ignored)
- Open RedSn0w and click on Extras > Recovery Fix
- Place device in DFU mode and ensure Recovery Fix runs successfully
- After completion of Recovery Fix, the device should be restored to iOS 5.1.1
To contact the editor, e-mail: