Reading v Newcastle United: Where to Watch Live, Injury News, Preview, Teams
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 29, 2012 7:45 PM EST
Reading host Newcastle United with the Royals looking for their first Premier League win of the season. Brian McDermott's side did enjoy a midweek victory, though, overcoming QPR 3-2 in the Capital One Cup. The Magpies, meanwhile, slipped to a 1-2 defeat at Old Trafford in the same competition.
Where to Watch Live
There is no live broadcast but catch free real-time updates via Gamecast on Soccernet. The highlights will be on BBC One's Match of the Day at 10.10pm BST.
Reading fans will have been buoyed by the team's performance against QPR in the Capital One Cup. The Royals were forced to come back from 1-2 down, with goals from Nickey Shorey and Pavel Pogrebnyak sealing the win; the Russian even had time to miss a penalty late in injury time. McDermott will now fervently hope some of that form rubs off on his team in the league. The club is rooted to the bottom of the league table, with only one point from four games so far and 13 goals conceded in six games played. They do have a game in hand over teams above them but they need to start winning... now.
Newcastle, meanwhile, have not had the ideal start to their season. The highs of the opening day win against Tottenham have been followed by a series of hard-fought draws, as manager Alan Pardew battles injuries, loss of form and the pressures of maybe having over-achieved last season.
The problem is the Magpies have won only three of nine competitive games this season. The good news is they've lost only two of the other six, meaning they are at least difficult to beat. Furthermore, they did collect all three points from their last league game, a scrappy 1-0 win over Norwich City. They are currently 10th in the league, with eight points from five games.
The 1-2 defeat to United did see some positives though. Senegalese striker Papiss Cisse scored his first goal of the season and proved a real handful for the Red Devils. Pardew will be hoping that if United, at home, were troubled by the striker, then Reading will have even more of a problem keeping him quiet. Goals have been hard to come by for the team this season, with only nine goals in all competitions, so far.
Newcastle fans will be confident of an improvement, particularly since Pardew has managed to retain the core of the side that did so fantastically well in the league last year. Cisse, Demba Ba (who may leave in January), Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheick Tiote are all still at Sports Direct Arena, despite interest from several top clubs.
Last five matches (most recent first) - L W D D D
Last Result - Manchester United 2 - 1 Newcastle United
Last five matches (most recent first) - W L L W L
Last Result - QPR 2 - 3 Reading
The hosts are without any major injury concerns, with Jimmy Kebe likely to return to the first team after the forward shrugged off a hamstring injury to start against QPR. However, Jason Roberts will face a fitness test before being given the green light, but is expected to make at least the bench. First choice goalkeeper Adam Federici is expected to miss this match and will be replaced by Alex McCarthy.
Reading Probable Line-Up: McCarthy; Gunter, Gorkss, Pearce, Shorey; Kébé, Leigertwood, Guthrie, McAnuff; Pogrebnyak, Le Fondre
Pardew will be boosted by the return of Tiote but will not be able to call on captain Fabricio Coloccini, who injured his hamstring, again, against United. Cabaye could also miss this game, with a mouth infection. Meanwhile goalkeeper Tim Krul and defender Danny Simpson are recovering from injury and are unlikely to play this game.
Newcastle Probable Line-Up: Harper; Perch, Williamson, S Taylor, Santon; Ben Arfa, Anita, Tiote, Gutierrez; Cissé, Ba
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch