Reading v Newcastle United: Where to Watch Live, Injury News, Preview, Teams
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 29, 2012 7:45 PM EST
Reading host Newcastle United with the Royals looking for their first Premier League win of the season. Brian McDermott's side did enjoy a midweek victory, though, overcoming QPR 3-2 in the Capital One Cup. The Magpies, meanwhile, slipped to a 1-2 defeat at Old Trafford in the same competition.
Where to Watch Live
There is no live broadcast but catch free real-time updates via Gamecast on Soccernet. The highlights will be on BBC One's Match of the Day at 10.10pm BST.
Reading fans will have been buoyed by the team's performance against QPR in the Capital One Cup. The Royals were forced to come back from 1-2 down, with goals from Nickey Shorey and Pavel Pogrebnyak sealing the win; the Russian even had time to miss a penalty late in injury time. McDermott will now fervently hope some of that form rubs off on his team in the league. The club is rooted to the bottom of the league table, with only one point from four games so far and 13 goals conceded in six games played. They do have a game in hand over teams above them but they need to start winning... now.
Newcastle, meanwhile, have not had the ideal start to their season. The highs of the opening day win against Tottenham have been followed by a series of hard-fought draws, as manager Alan Pardew battles injuries, loss of form and the pressures of maybe having over-achieved last season.
The problem is the Magpies have won only three of nine competitive games this season. The good news is they've lost only two of the other six, meaning they are at least difficult to beat. Furthermore, they did collect all three points from their last league game, a scrappy 1-0 win over Norwich City. They are currently 10th in the league, with eight points from five games.
The 1-2 defeat to United did see some positives though. Senegalese striker Papiss Cisse scored his first goal of the season and proved a real handful for the Red Devils. Pardew will be hoping that if United, at home, were troubled by the striker, then Reading will have even more of a problem keeping him quiet. Goals have been hard to come by for the team this season, with only nine goals in all competitions, so far.
Newcastle fans will be confident of an improvement, particularly since Pardew has managed to retain the core of the side that did so fantastically well in the league last year. Cisse, Demba Ba (who may leave in January), Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheick Tiote are all still at Sports Direct Arena, despite interest from several top clubs.
Last five matches (most recent first) - L W D D D
Last Result - Manchester United 2 - 1 Newcastle United
Last five matches (most recent first) - W L L W L
Last Result - QPR 2 - 3 Reading
The hosts are without any major injury concerns, with Jimmy Kebe likely to return to the first team after the forward shrugged off a hamstring injury to start against QPR. However, Jason Roberts will face a fitness test before being given the green light, but is expected to make at least the bench. First choice goalkeeper Adam Federici is expected to miss this match and will be replaced by Alex McCarthy.
Reading Probable Line-Up: McCarthy; Gunter, Gorkss, Pearce, Shorey; Kébé, Leigertwood, Guthrie, McAnuff; Pogrebnyak, Le Fondre
Pardew will be boosted by the return of Tiote but will not be able to call on captain Fabricio Coloccini, who injured his hamstring, again, against United. Cabaye could also miss this game, with a mouth infection. Meanwhile goalkeeper Tim Krul and defender Danny Simpson are recovering from injury and are unlikely to play this game.
Newcastle Probable Line-Up: Harper; Perch, Williamson, S Taylor, Santon; Ben Arfa, Anita, Tiote, Gutierrez; Cissé, Ba
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]