is rolling out Android
4.0 update for Xperia U, Xperia Sola and Xperia Go.
Sony has begun rolling out Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) updates for three of the Xperia series of smartphones - U, Sola and Go. These handsets were launched with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). ICS updates for the Xperia S and P have already been released.
Features included in this update are
- Media apps like WALKMAN, Album and Movies
- An extended standby mode (up to four times longer, depending on user profile and data consumption)
- An enhanced lock screen
- Resizable widgets
- Improved control of mobile data consumption
- A Recent Apps function
- Glove Mode (for the Sola only)
Xperia owners looking to update their devices using PC or Mac may follow these instructions. IBTimes UK warns its readers it will not be held responsible for any damage caused during installation. Ensure all important data is backed up and the battery has at least an 80 percent charge before beginning.
To Install Android 4.0 with PC
- Connect device to computer with USB cable. An installation pop-up for the PC Companion will appear. Follow instructions to install PC Companion.
- Click on Update in PC Companion and the programme will scan for and identify the ICS update.
- Click Accept on the pop-up, to continue. You will also have the option to study details on contents of update
- Meanwhile, the update should be preparing itself, downloading and installing on the phone
- After installation, follow on-screen instructions to disconnect phone from computer and restart device. This may take some time
To Install Android 4.0 with Mac
- Download and install Sony Bridge for Mac
- Connect device to Mac and start Sony Bridge.
- Software location and installation is automatic. Follow on-screen prompts where necessary and unplug device after installation
To Install Android 4.0 OTA
- Ensure device is connected to a strong Wi-Fi signal
- The device will provide notification when the update is located
- If there is no automatic notification, navigate to Menu > Settings > About Phone > System Update > Check Now
- Select Install Now, when ICS pack is located and downloaded from server
- After installation device will automatically restart
The device is now running the latest ICS update. To verify, navigate to Settings > About Phone.
[Source: Sony, Android Advice]
To contact the editor, e-mail: