Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur: Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | September 29, 2012 6:50 PM EST
Manchester United welcome Tottenham Hotspur to Old Trafford, with Sir Alex Ferguson's side looking to extend their winning streak.
Where to Watch Live
Kick-off is set for 5:30pm BST. Live coverage will be available on ESPN and ESPN HD in the UK. MU TV will have a build-up to the match that starts at 4:30pm. Watch highlights of the game on the Match of the Day on BBC One at 10.10pm.
The Red Devils have bounced back from their loss to Everton in the season opener by winning their last six games, in three competitions. United come into the game sitting second in the league table after five matches, with 12 points - just one behind early leaders Chelsea.
Spurs are also on an unbeaten run and have posted wins in their last three domestic games, after a difficult start under new boss Andre Villas-Boas, where they managed just two points from the first three league games. The north London outfit are eighth in the table with eight points from five matches.
Both sides tasted Capital One Cup success in midweek, with United beating Newcastle United 2-1 at home and Spurs clinching a 3-0 away victory over League One club Carlisle United, to secure their places in the fourth round.
Tottenham travel to Old Trafford hoping for their first league win at the Theatre of Dreams since 1989. The Lillywhites have suffered a horrendous run of luck on their trips to United, having lost 17 of their last 22 Premier League encounters at the venue.
- Last five (most recent first): W W W W W
- Last Result: Manchester United 2 - 1 Newcastle United
- Last five (most recent first): W W D W D
- Last Result: Carlisle United 0 - 3 Tottenham Hotspur
Manchester United: Ferguson's injury worries at the back continue, as captain Nemanja Vidic has been ruled out for two months following knee surgery. The Serbian's fellow centre-backs Phil Jones and Chris Smalling also remain sidelined. Ashley Young is unavailable, while fellow wide man Antonio Valencia - who suffered a knock on his ankle against Liverpool last week - has been rated as doubtful for this clash by the Scot.
Anders Lindegaard is expected to play in goal; the Dane has emerged as United's first-choice stopper in the Premier League, while David de Gea has been keeping goal in cup competitions. With so many injury problems in defence, United have not much choice but to field the available first-teamers. Rafael, Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans will all return to the starting line-up after being rested in midweek, while veteran Patrice Evra is the favourite to start at left-back over Alexander Buttner. Meanwhile, Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes, who were also rested against Newcastle, appear to be strong candidates to start at the heart of the midfield.
Tom Cleverley, who scored the eventual winner against the Magpies, might get a look in, if Ferguson decides to save Scholes for the away trip to Romanian side Cluj in the Champions League fixture on 2 October. With Young out and Valencia facing a late test, Nani could feature on the right wing, despite reportedly being involved in a training ground fight, while any of Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck or Ryan Giggs could pop up on the left flank. Up front, Robin van Persie is set to lead the attack, while Shinji Kagawa will play in the hole behind him.
Tottenham Hotspur: Villas-Boas has some injury concerns of his own. Striker Emmanuel Adebayor, midfielders Scott Parker and Jake Livermore and defenders Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Younes Kaboul have been ruled out for this clash, while right-back Kyle Naughton will have a late test.
Brad Friedel will return in goal after being replaced midweek by Carlo Cudicini, with France captain Hugo Lloris on the bench once again. With Assou-Ekotto out, Jan Vertonghen will move over to left-back. Steven Caulker is expected to come into the side to partner William Gallas in central defence, while Kyle Walker will continue at right-back.
Sandro and Moussa Dembele will feature as the two deep-lying central-midfielders in Villas-Boas' 4-2-3-1 system. In the attacking trio, Aaron Lennon is expected on the right and Gareth Bale remains the first-choice on the left, while Clint Dempsey should see off competition from fellow new signing Gylfi Sigurdsson to land the central role. No points for guessing who will lead the attack. Jermaine Defoe has been finding the back of the net in every recent game, and the England international will continue up front.
Probable Starting Line-ups:
Manchester United (4-2-3-1): Lindegaard; Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra; Carrick, Scholes; Nani, Kagawa, Rooney; van Persie
Tottenham Hotspur (4-2-3-1): Friedel; Walker, Gallas, Caulker, Vertonghen; Sandro, Dembele; Lennon, Dempsey, Bale; Defoe
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports