Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur: Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | September 29, 2012 6:50 PM EST
Manchester United welcome Tottenham Hotspur to Old Trafford, with Sir Alex Ferguson's side looking to extend their winning streak.
Where to Watch Live
Kick-off is set for 5:30pm BST. Live coverage will be available on ESPN and ESPN HD in the UK. MU TV will have a build-up to the match that starts at 4:30pm. Watch highlights of the game on the Match of the Day on BBC One at 10.10pm.
The Red Devils have bounced back from their loss to Everton in the season opener by winning their last six games, in three competitions. United come into the game sitting second in the league table after five matches, with 12 points - just one behind early leaders Chelsea.
Spurs are also on an unbeaten run and have posted wins in their last three domestic games, after a difficult start under new boss Andre Villas-Boas, where they managed just two points from the first three league games. The north London outfit are eighth in the table with eight points from five matches.
Both sides tasted Capital One Cup success in midweek, with United beating Newcastle United 2-1 at home and Spurs clinching a 3-0 away victory over League One club Carlisle United, to secure their places in the fourth round.
Tottenham travel to Old Trafford hoping for their first league win at the Theatre of Dreams since 1989. The Lillywhites have suffered a horrendous run of luck on their trips to United, having lost 17 of their last 22 Premier League encounters at the venue.
- Last five (most recent first): W W W W W
- Last Result: Manchester United 2 - 1 Newcastle United
- Last five (most recent first): W W D W D
- Last Result: Carlisle United 0 - 3 Tottenham Hotspur
Manchester United: Ferguson's injury worries at the back continue, as captain Nemanja Vidic has been ruled out for two months following knee surgery. The Serbian's fellow centre-backs Phil Jones and Chris Smalling also remain sidelined. Ashley Young is unavailable, while fellow wide man Antonio Valencia - who suffered a knock on his ankle against Liverpool last week - has been rated as doubtful for this clash by the Scot.
Anders Lindegaard is expected to play in goal; the Dane has emerged as United's first-choice stopper in the Premier League, while David de Gea has been keeping goal in cup competitions. With so many injury problems in defence, United have not much choice but to field the available first-teamers. Rafael, Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans will all return to the starting line-up after being rested in midweek, while veteran Patrice Evra is the favourite to start at left-back over Alexander Buttner. Meanwhile, Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes, who were also rested against Newcastle, appear to be strong candidates to start at the heart of the midfield.
Tom Cleverley, who scored the eventual winner against the Magpies, might get a look in, if Ferguson decides to save Scholes for the away trip to Romanian side Cluj in the Champions League fixture on 2 October. With Young out and Valencia facing a late test, Nani could feature on the right wing, despite reportedly being involved in a training ground fight, while any of Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck or Ryan Giggs could pop up on the left flank. Up front, Robin van Persie is set to lead the attack, while Shinji Kagawa will play in the hole behind him.
Tottenham Hotspur: Villas-Boas has some injury concerns of his own. Striker Emmanuel Adebayor, midfielders Scott Parker and Jake Livermore and defenders Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Younes Kaboul have been ruled out for this clash, while right-back Kyle Naughton will have a late test.
Brad Friedel will return in goal after being replaced midweek by Carlo Cudicini, with France captain Hugo Lloris on the bench once again. With Assou-Ekotto out, Jan Vertonghen will move over to left-back. Steven Caulker is expected to come into the side to partner William Gallas in central defence, while Kyle Walker will continue at right-back.
Sandro and Moussa Dembele will feature as the two deep-lying central-midfielders in Villas-Boas' 4-2-3-1 system. In the attacking trio, Aaron Lennon is expected on the right and Gareth Bale remains the first-choice on the left, while Clint Dempsey should see off competition from fellow new signing Gylfi Sigurdsson to land the central role. No points for guessing who will lead the attack. Jermaine Defoe has been finding the back of the net in every recent game, and the England international will continue up front.
Probable Starting Line-ups:
Manchester United (4-2-3-1): Lindegaard; Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra; Carrick, Scholes; Nani, Kagawa, Rooney; van Persie
Tottenham Hotspur (4-2-3-1): Friedel; Walker, Gallas, Caulker, Vertonghen; Sandro, Dembele; Lennon, Dempsey, Bale; Defoe
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers