‘Pitch Perfect’ Hits Theaters: Five Things To Know Before Getting ‘Pitch Slapped’
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 29, 2012 9:37 AM EST
“Pitch Perfect” is a bawdy “Bring it On”-meets-“Glee” musical comedy that has critics raving. The film, featuring several up-and-coming actresses, may become the sleeper hit of the fall.
Beca (Anna Kendrick) is a college freshman who joins an all-female a cappella group known as The Bellas. The movie centers on the rivalry between it and the all-male Treble Makers. Following a humiliating loss during their last competition, the group is determined to crush their counterparts through “riff offs” and “pitch slapping.”
Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp, and Skylar Astin also star in the film.
Here are five things to know about “Pitch Perfect.”
Jason Moore Is A Broadway Director
The film was directed by Jason Moore, who directed the Tony Award-winning Broadway hit “Avenue Q,” “Shriek: The Musical,” and “Steel Magnolias.” According to Passport magazine, “Pitch Perfect” marks his film-directing debut.
Anna Kendrick Was Once A Musical-Theater Star
Anna Kendrick is known for playing Jessica in the “Twilight” series and for her Oscar-nominated role as George Clooney’s naive sidekick in “Up in the Air.” But few are aware that Kendrick got her start in musical theater. According to Broadway World, Kendrick made her Broadway debut at the tender age of 12 as Dinah in “High Society” in 1998. She received a Tony Award nomination for her performance -- making her the third-youngest person in history to be nominated for the award. In 2003, she appeared in “A Little Night Music” with the New York City Opera. The same year, she starred as the conniving Fritzi Wagner in the indie musical film “Camp.”
It’s Based On A Nonfiction Book
The screenplay, by Kay Cannon (whose credits encompass television's “30 Rock” and “New Girl”) is based on the book “Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory.” The book was written by GQ magazine senior editor Mickey Rapkin, who based the book on what he observed as a member of an all-male singing club at Cornell University. In 2006, Rapkin began following three a cappella groups from three different universities. The book captures the rivalry between the three groups as well as the tremendous work that goes into their performances.
There’s No Shortage Of Cover Songs
“Pitch Perfect” is packed with catchy cover songs from start to finish. They range from classic pop tunes to danceable hip-hop tracks. Some of the songs include “Titanium” by David Guetta (featuring Sia), “No Diggity” by Blackstreet, “You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)” by Dead or Alive, “The Sign (All That She Wants)” by Ace of Base, “Mickey” by Toni Basil, “Please Don’t Stop the Music” by Rihanna, “Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson, and “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus.
It’s Part Of The 'Bridesmaids' Effect
Last year, the Hollywood Reporter coined the term “Bridesmaids" Effect, based on the fact that since the hit comedy was released, studios are producing more and more female-driven films.
As Sandy Cohen of the Huffington Post pointed out, “[W]omen have been finding a voice in comedy more than ever before. This summer saw actresses Zoe Kazan and Rashida Jones pen interesting comedic characters to play in their own starring vehicles: ‘Ruby Sparks’ and ‘Celeste and Jesse Forever,’ respectively. Lauren Miller and Katie Anne Naylon wrote about female friendship and entrepreneurial efforts (as phone-sex operators) in ‘For a Good Time, Call ... ’ Playwright and director Leslye Headland also made her screenwriting debut this summer with ‘Bachelorette’ … ”
“Pitch Perfect” is part of a growing trend in which films are featuring more authentic female characters. The women in the movie say and do “inappropriate” things that were once reserved for male characters. With the film earning positive reviews, “Pitch Perfect” will likely further the development of projects written by and starring women.
“Pitch Perfect” is currently in theaters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports