Alanis Morissette Shows Support For Billie Joe Armstrong: 'He Deserves To Be Bowed Down To'
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 29, 2012 4:03 AM EST
Alanis Morissette is voicing her support for Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong in the wake of his onstage meltdown during Clear Channel's iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas, NV.
The folk singer performed a cover of the band’s 1994 hit “Basket Case” during an appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on Tuesday in honor of her friend. On Thursday, she performed her piano-heavy rendition of the song again during the Ponoma, Calif., stop of her Havoc and Bright Lights tour.
It’s no coincidence that Morissette’s cover is being performed at a difficult time in Armstrong’s life. In an interview with Billboard that was published on Thursday, Morissette expressed her admiration and concern for the rock star.
"I've always been an advocate and supporter of artists and Billie Joe to me -- he deserves to be bowed down to," she said. "He's been in this industry for a long time and so for him to experience the consequence of a system that kind of set it up for him to fail is a travesty to me.
"I think he's braver than I am," she added, while noting that “it's a little more dangerous for a woman to flip out in that way.”
Last week, Armstrong launched into a profanity-filled rant after being informed via teleprompter that he and his band mates had one minute to wrap up their performance.
“I’ve been around since [expletive] 1988 and you’re gonna give me one [expletive] minute? I’m not [expletive] Justin Beiber…,” shouted an enraged Armstrong before making a pathetic attempt to smash his guitar.
The band subsequently posted a statement on their website apologizing for the incident and explaining that that Armstrong would be getting the help he needs.
“Billie Joe is seeking treatment for substance abuse. We would like everyone to know that our set was not cut short by Clear Channel and to apologize to those we offended at the iHeartRadio Festival in Las Vegas. We regretfully must postpone some of our upcoming promotional appearances.’
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Armstrong has a history of drug abuse. In 2003, he was arrested in Berkeley, Calif., for driving under the influence.
In a 2011 interview with Details, Armstrong revealed that he was exposed to drugs at an early age.
“I was the youngest of six, no father, so it was total chaos,” he said. “I was exposed to drugs and sex early on but had no one to educate me on it.”
In January, it was announced that Armstrong would appear on “The Voice” as a mentor to contestants on Christina Aguilera’s team. Deadline reports that the rocker’s rehab stint will not affect his appearance on the show, as his segments were tapped this past summer.
Green Day, which formed in 1987, took the music scene by storm when their breakthrough album “Dookie” debut in 1994. Over the years, the multi Grammy award-winning band has released a number of popular albums including “Insomniac” and “Warning.” In 2004, they released “American Idiot,” which later inspired a Tony award winning musical of the same name.
“Uno,” their latest album, debuted on Tuesday. On Feb. 8, the band is set to return to Las Vegas to perform at the MGM grand, the arena in which Armstrong’s outburst took place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales