Alanis Morissette Shows Support For Billie Joe Armstrong: 'He Deserves To Be Bowed Down To'
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 29, 2012 4:03 AM EST
Alanis Morissette is voicing her support for Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong in the wake of his onstage meltdown during Clear Channel's iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas, NV.
The folk singer performed a cover of the band’s 1994 hit “Basket Case” during an appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on Tuesday in honor of her friend. On Thursday, she performed her piano-heavy rendition of the song again during the Ponoma, Calif., stop of her Havoc and Bright Lights tour.
It’s no coincidence that Morissette’s cover is being performed at a difficult time in Armstrong’s life. In an interview with Billboard that was published on Thursday, Morissette expressed her admiration and concern for the rock star.
"I've always been an advocate and supporter of artists and Billie Joe to me -- he deserves to be bowed down to," she said. "He's been in this industry for a long time and so for him to experience the consequence of a system that kind of set it up for him to fail is a travesty to me.
"I think he's braver than I am," she added, while noting that “it's a little more dangerous for a woman to flip out in that way.”
Last week, Armstrong launched into a profanity-filled rant after being informed via teleprompter that he and his band mates had one minute to wrap up their performance.
“I’ve been around since [expletive] 1988 and you’re gonna give me one [expletive] minute? I’m not [expletive] Justin Beiber…,” shouted an enraged Armstrong before making a pathetic attempt to smash his guitar.
The band subsequently posted a statement on their website apologizing for the incident and explaining that that Armstrong would be getting the help he needs.
“Billie Joe is seeking treatment for substance abuse. We would like everyone to know that our set was not cut short by Clear Channel and to apologize to those we offended at the iHeartRadio Festival in Las Vegas. We regretfully must postpone some of our upcoming promotional appearances.’
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Armstrong has a history of drug abuse. In 2003, he was arrested in Berkeley, Calif., for driving under the influence.
In a 2011 interview with Details, Armstrong revealed that he was exposed to drugs at an early age.
“I was the youngest of six, no father, so it was total chaos,” he said. “I was exposed to drugs and sex early on but had no one to educate me on it.”
In January, it was announced that Armstrong would appear on “The Voice” as a mentor to contestants on Christina Aguilera’s team. Deadline reports that the rocker’s rehab stint will not affect his appearance on the show, as his segments were tapped this past summer.
Green Day, which formed in 1987, took the music scene by storm when their breakthrough album “Dookie” debut in 1994. Over the years, the multi Grammy award-winning band has released a number of popular albums including “Insomniac” and “Warning.” In 2004, they released “American Idiot,” which later inspired a Tony award winning musical of the same name.
“Uno,” their latest album, debuted on Tuesday. On Feb. 8, the band is set to return to Las Vegas to perform at the MGM grand, the arena in which Armstrong’s outburst took place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features