Alanis Morissette Shows Support For Billie Joe Armstrong: 'He Deserves To Be Bowed Down To'
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 29, 2012 4:03 AM EST
Alanis Morissette is voicing her support for Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong in the wake of his onstage meltdown during Clear Channel's iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas, NV.
The folk singer performed a cover of the band’s 1994 hit “Basket Case” during an appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on Tuesday in honor of her friend. On Thursday, she performed her piano-heavy rendition of the song again during the Ponoma, Calif., stop of her Havoc and Bright Lights tour.
It’s no coincidence that Morissette’s cover is being performed at a difficult time in Armstrong’s life. In an interview with Billboard that was published on Thursday, Morissette expressed her admiration and concern for the rock star.
"I've always been an advocate and supporter of artists and Billie Joe to me -- he deserves to be bowed down to," she said. "He's been in this industry for a long time and so for him to experience the consequence of a system that kind of set it up for him to fail is a travesty to me.
"I think he's braver than I am," she added, while noting that “it's a little more dangerous for a woman to flip out in that way.”
Last week, Armstrong launched into a profanity-filled rant after being informed via teleprompter that he and his band mates had one minute to wrap up their performance.
“I’ve been around since [expletive] 1988 and you’re gonna give me one [expletive] minute? I’m not [expletive] Justin Beiber…,” shouted an enraged Armstrong before making a pathetic attempt to smash his guitar.
The band subsequently posted a statement on their website apologizing for the incident and explaining that that Armstrong would be getting the help he needs.
“Billie Joe is seeking treatment for substance abuse. We would like everyone to know that our set was not cut short by Clear Channel and to apologize to those we offended at the iHeartRadio Festival in Las Vegas. We regretfully must postpone some of our upcoming promotional appearances.’
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Armstrong has a history of drug abuse. In 2003, he was arrested in Berkeley, Calif., for driving under the influence.
In a 2011 interview with Details, Armstrong revealed that he was exposed to drugs at an early age.
“I was the youngest of six, no father, so it was total chaos,” he said. “I was exposed to drugs and sex early on but had no one to educate me on it.”
In January, it was announced that Armstrong would appear on “The Voice” as a mentor to contestants on Christina Aguilera’s team. Deadline reports that the rocker’s rehab stint will not affect his appearance on the show, as his segments were tapped this past summer.
Green Day, which formed in 1987, took the music scene by storm when their breakthrough album “Dookie” debut in 1994. Over the years, the multi Grammy award-winning band has released a number of popular albums including “Insomniac” and “Warning.” In 2004, they released “American Idiot,” which later inspired a Tony award winning musical of the same name.
“Uno,” their latest album, debuted on Tuesday. On Feb. 8, the band is set to return to Las Vegas to perform at the MGM grand, the arena in which Armstrong’s outburst took place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display