Anne Hathaway To Perform One-Night ‘Cabaret’ For Public Theater
September 28, 2012 7:28 AM EST
Anne Hathaway has been best known for her acting, but next month, the thespian beauty will be showing off her musical side.
The 29-year-old actress is lending her voice next month for a special cabaret performance benefiting the Public Theater in New York, titled “Perfectly Marvelous: The Songs of Cabaret with Anne Hathaway and Friends.” Tickets for the one-night engagement, on Oct. 24 at Joe’s Pub, will range from $100 to $300, and will include dinner and drinks.
Hathaway, who earned an Oscar nod for “Best Actress” for her performance in “Rachel Getting Married,” performed in the Public Theater’s staging of “Twelfth Night,” in 2009. The play was held as part of The Public’s annual festival “Shakespeare in the Park,” originally conceived in 1954 by Joseph Papp.
As part of her performance, Hathaway will sing a selection of songs from the musical “Cabaret” including “Willkomen,” “Cabaret,” “Maybe This Time,” and “Perfectly Marvelous.”
In a press statement, the actress said, “I am delighted to reunite with the Public for this special night to celebrate the theater’s rededication, and support its mission to spread great theater to all the people of New York (tourists are welcome too.)”
But Hathaway’s singing won’t end there. The starlet just recently wrapped shooting on “Les Miserables,” a film adaptation of the long-running Broadway musical, based on the novel of the same name by Victor Hugo. In the film, directed by Tim Hooper, Hathaway stars as Fantine, a destitute worker dying, most likely, of tuberculosis.
"There seems to be something selfish about trying to go for the pretty version," said Hathaway, of her method to singing Fantine’s tragic song “I Dreamed a Dream.” “"She's devastated. She's literally at the bottom of a hole and realizing she's never going to climb out of this. So I just decided to play the truth to the melody and see what would happen."
Hathaway’s version of the song was included in the trailer for “Les Miserables,” released by Universal in May. The film, which also co-stars Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Amanda Seyfried, is scheduled to be released in theaters in December, according to Collider.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS