Anne Hathaway To Perform One-Night ‘Cabaret’ For Public Theater
September 28, 2012 7:28 AM EST
Anne Hathaway has been best known for her acting, but next month, the thespian beauty will be showing off her musical side.
The 29-year-old actress is lending her voice next month for a special cabaret performance benefiting the Public Theater in New York, titled “Perfectly Marvelous: The Songs of Cabaret with Anne Hathaway and Friends.” Tickets for the one-night engagement, on Oct. 24 at Joe’s Pub, will range from $100 to $300, and will include dinner and drinks.
Hathaway, who earned an Oscar nod for “Best Actress” for her performance in “Rachel Getting Married,” performed in the Public Theater’s staging of “Twelfth Night,” in 2009. The play was held as part of The Public’s annual festival “Shakespeare in the Park,” originally conceived in 1954 by Joseph Papp.
As part of her performance, Hathaway will sing a selection of songs from the musical “Cabaret” including “Willkomen,” “Cabaret,” “Maybe This Time,” and “Perfectly Marvelous.”
In a press statement, the actress said, “I am delighted to reunite with the Public for this special night to celebrate the theater’s rededication, and support its mission to spread great theater to all the people of New York (tourists are welcome too.)”
But Hathaway’s singing won’t end there. The starlet just recently wrapped shooting on “Les Miserables,” a film adaptation of the long-running Broadway musical, based on the novel of the same name by Victor Hugo. In the film, directed by Tim Hooper, Hathaway stars as Fantine, a destitute worker dying, most likely, of tuberculosis.
"There seems to be something selfish about trying to go for the pretty version," said Hathaway, of her method to singing Fantine’s tragic song “I Dreamed a Dream.” “"She's devastated. She's literally at the bottom of a hole and realizing she's never going to climb out of this. So I just decided to play the truth to the melody and see what would happen."
Hathaway’s version of the song was included in the trailer for “Les Miserables,” released by Universal in May. The film, which also co-stars Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Amanda Seyfried, is scheduled to be released in theaters in December, according to Collider.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar