Anne Hathaway To Perform One-Night ‘Cabaret’ For Public Theater
September 28, 2012 7:28 AM EST
Anne Hathaway has been best known for her acting, but next month, the thespian beauty will be showing off her musical side.
The 29-year-old actress is lending her voice next month for a special cabaret performance benefiting the Public Theater in New York, titled “Perfectly Marvelous: The Songs of Cabaret with Anne Hathaway and Friends.” Tickets for the one-night engagement, on Oct. 24 at Joe’s Pub, will range from $100 to $300, and will include dinner and drinks.
Hathaway, who earned an Oscar nod for “Best Actress” for her performance in “Rachel Getting Married,” performed in the Public Theater’s staging of “Twelfth Night,” in 2009. The play was held as part of The Public’s annual festival “Shakespeare in the Park,” originally conceived in 1954 by Joseph Papp.
As part of her performance, Hathaway will sing a selection of songs from the musical “Cabaret” including “Willkomen,” “Cabaret,” “Maybe This Time,” and “Perfectly Marvelous.”
In a press statement, the actress said, “I am delighted to reunite with the Public for this special night to celebrate the theater’s rededication, and support its mission to spread great theater to all the people of New York (tourists are welcome too.)”
But Hathaway’s singing won’t end there. The starlet just recently wrapped shooting on “Les Miserables,” a film adaptation of the long-running Broadway musical, based on the novel of the same name by Victor Hugo. In the film, directed by Tim Hooper, Hathaway stars as Fantine, a destitute worker dying, most likely, of tuberculosis.
"There seems to be something selfish about trying to go for the pretty version," said Hathaway, of her method to singing Fantine’s tragic song “I Dreamed a Dream.” “"She's devastated. She's literally at the bottom of a hole and realizing she's never going to climb out of this. So I just decided to play the truth to the melody and see what would happen."
Hathaway’s version of the song was included in the trailer for “Les Miserables,” released by Universal in May. The film, which also co-stars Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Amanda Seyfried, is scheduled to be released in theaters in December, according to Collider.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June