Anne Hathaway To Perform One-Night ‘Cabaret’ For Public Theater
September 28, 2012 7:28 AM EST
Anne Hathaway has been best known for her acting, but next month, the thespian beauty will be showing off her musical side.
The 29-year-old actress is lending her voice next month for a special cabaret performance benefiting the Public Theater in New York, titled “Perfectly Marvelous: The Songs of Cabaret with Anne Hathaway and Friends.” Tickets for the one-night engagement, on Oct. 24 at Joe’s Pub, will range from $100 to $300, and will include dinner and drinks.
Hathaway, who earned an Oscar nod for “Best Actress” for her performance in “Rachel Getting Married,” performed in the Public Theater’s staging of “Twelfth Night,” in 2009. The play was held as part of The Public’s annual festival “Shakespeare in the Park,” originally conceived in 1954 by Joseph Papp.
As part of her performance, Hathaway will sing a selection of songs from the musical “Cabaret” including “Willkomen,” “Cabaret,” “Maybe This Time,” and “Perfectly Marvelous.”
In a press statement, the actress said, “I am delighted to reunite with the Public for this special night to celebrate the theater’s rededication, and support its mission to spread great theater to all the people of New York (tourists are welcome too.)”
But Hathaway’s singing won’t end there. The starlet just recently wrapped shooting on “Les Miserables,” a film adaptation of the long-running Broadway musical, based on the novel of the same name by Victor Hugo. In the film, directed by Tim Hooper, Hathaway stars as Fantine, a destitute worker dying, most likely, of tuberculosis.
"There seems to be something selfish about trying to go for the pretty version," said Hathaway, of her method to singing Fantine’s tragic song “I Dreamed a Dream.” “"She's devastated. She's literally at the bottom of a hole and realizing she's never going to climb out of this. So I just decided to play the truth to the melody and see what would happen."
Hathaway’s version of the song was included in the trailer for “Les Miserables,” released by Universal in May. The film, which also co-stars Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Amanda Seyfried, is scheduled to be released in theaters in December, according to Collider.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 24-26, 2014: The Forresters, Logans And Spencers Will Celebrate Thanksgiving Day At The Forrester Mansion
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Promo Video And Synopsis For Episode 9 Titled ‘I Alone’ Tease Continuation Of Mission To Bring Bonnie Back [WATCH]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced