IBM’s Rometty Becomes First Woman Chairman Monday
By David Zielenziger | September 28, 2012 5:04 AM EST
International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE: IBM), where Virginia Rometty became its first woman CEO on Jan. 1, will promote her to chairman on Monday, when current Chairman Samuel J. Palmisano retires.
Rometty, 55, will become the first woman chairman of IBM, of Armonk, N.Y., in its 101-year history, when Palmisano, 61, retires as Chairman and director to become a “senior adviser” to the company. IBM is the No. 2 computer maker.
The promotion will make Rometty perhaps the top-ranked woman in U.S. technology. At the biggest computer maker, Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ), CEO Margaret (Meg) Whitman, 56, reports to Chairman Ray Lane, 65. At Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO), new CEO Marissa Mayer, 38, reports to Chairman Fred Amoroso, 62, a onetime IBM senior manager.
IBM has two other women on its board: Joan Spero, 67, a former executive VP of American Express Co. (NYSE: AXP), and Shirley Ann Jackson, 65, a physicist and president of Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute.
IBM shares rose $2.61 to $206.59 in late Thursday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices