IBM’s Rometty Becomes First Woman Chairman Monday
By David Zielenziger | September 28, 2012 5:04 AM EST
International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE: IBM), where Virginia Rometty became its first woman CEO on Jan. 1, will promote her to chairman on Monday, when current Chairman Samuel J. Palmisano retires.
Rometty, 55, will become the first woman chairman of IBM, of Armonk, N.Y., in its 101-year history, when Palmisano, 61, retires as Chairman and director to become a “senior adviser” to the company. IBM is the No. 2 computer maker.
The promotion will make Rometty perhaps the top-ranked woman in U.S. technology. At the biggest computer maker, Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ), CEO Margaret (Meg) Whitman, 56, reports to Chairman Ray Lane, 65. At Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO), new CEO Marissa Mayer, 38, reports to Chairman Fred Amoroso, 62, a onetime IBM senior manager.
IBM has two other women on its board: Joan Spero, 67, a former executive VP of American Express Co. (NYSE: AXP), and Shirley Ann Jackson, 65, a physicist and president of Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute.
IBM shares rose $2.61 to $206.59 in late Thursday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Actor Johnny Galecki And Kelli Garner Split, Actor Shooting For Season 8 -- Reports
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Brazilian Women-Only-Town Says No To Marriage, Baptism And Rules Made Up By Men
- ‘Suits’ Season 4 Update: Rachel, Mike Currently In A Better Place After A Short Break-Up
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements