Manchester United Transfer News: Vidal, Varane, Denisov and Wanyama Linked to Old Trafford Moves
By Jason Le Miere | September 28, 2012 2:42 AM EST
Manchester United continue to be linked to a host of central midfielders as speculation heightens that Sir Alex Ferguson will finally enter the transfer market to address what many people have long seen as a glaring deficiency in his squad.
United’s midfield has often been overrun and over powered in recent seasons without a dynamic presence in the center of the field. While the return of Darren Fletcher and an all-too-rare fine performance from Anderson in the Capital One Cup victory over Newcastle last night raises hopes of a solution being found from within Old Trafford, there is still a long way to go before either of those two can consider themselves a dominant performer at the highest level.
A new target has emerged of late in the form of Juventus’s Arturo Vidal. United have approached the Serie A champions about a possible deal for the Chile international, according to TalkSport. The 25-year-old arrived in Turin from Bayer Leverkusen last summer for an initial €10.5 million and immediately impressed as he helped the side to their first title since 2003.
Vidal will also have impressed English viewers as he played a starring role and scored a fine goal in Juventus’ 2-2 Champions League draw with Chelsea last week. Unsurprisingly, Juventus have no intention of selling the key midfielder, however, and will demand €50 million (£40m). With that resistance in mind, coupled with Juventus’ current upward trajectory, a move appears highly unlikely.
One reported target who would appear simpler to prize away from his current club is Russia captain Igor Denisov. Along with teammate Alexsandr Kerzhakov, the 28-year-old has been forced to train with the youth team of his club Zenit St Petersburg after criticizing the high wages being given to new signings Hulk and Axel Witsel. The Daily Mirror has now become the latest outlet to link Denisov with a move to Manchester United, along with fellow Premier League clubs Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool.
Zenit coach Luciano Spalletti has said that the ball is now in Denisov’s court regarding his future.
"We don't want to take players who think only about themselves, and don't want to go forward with us,” he said, according to TalkSport. “Their return to the starting lineup depends only on them themselves."
There has also been news of another midfielder linked with Manchester United. Celtic’s Victor Wanyama has been monitored closely by Ferguson for the past several months, according to Metro. However the Kenyan, who is also said to be attracting interest from Arsenal and Queens Park Rangers, has claimed that he is happy to remain with the Glasgow giants.
“All I do is concentrate on the football,” the 21-year-old said, according to Metro. “Celtic is a big club and we are in the Champions League so I don’t think there is anywhere better.
“I leave the transfer talks for the club and my agent but I’m really happy here and looking forward to staying for as many years as I can.”
Manchester United also currently have problems in the center of defense and with that in mind, Spanish publication AS claims that Ferguson is set on bringing Real Madrid center back Raphael Varane to Old Trafford.
United have again been struck by a succession of injuries in defense and AS also alleges that Nemanja Vidic is keen on a move to Barcelona. Varane, 19, would seem a logical target. The France Under-21 international was keenly pursued by United last summer before he eventually moved to the Bernabeu. However, with Varane struggling for first-team opportunities under Jose Mourinho, he could be tempted with a move away.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Mad Max Fury Road Film Trailer from Aussie Director George Miller Shown at 2014 Comic-Con in San Diego: Tom Hardy Replaces Mel Gibson! [WATCH VIDEO]
- Scandal Season 4 Update: Premiere Episode Title Revealed, A Different New Season
- ‘The Voice Australia’ Winner Anja Nissen Explains Why She Scrapped Delta Goodrem’s Song
- The Bachelor Australia: Blake Garvey Talks Adventurous Past, Season 2 First Look [VIDEO]
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6