The "pass out game" has become popular among young people, with many of them posting videos on YouTube on how to make themselves pass out, purposefully, through hyperventilation.
The idea is that the people playing the game deprive themselves of oxygen to get a quick high as they wake up.
Tuesday, the dangerous game took a turn for worst after a 15-year-old boy played the game after watching a YouTube video but passed out and fell onto glass that slashed his throat, according to the Associated Press.
The teen, from San Diego, Calif. was with two friends in his home Tuesday evening when the incident occurred, says police Sgt. John Stires.
“The victim apparently did what was in the video, fell forward and landed on a drinking glass on the floor,” Chula Vista Police Captain Gary Wedge said, according to ABC 10 News.
“Nothing good can come out of watching videos like that,” Wedge went on to say.
In videos on YouTube, teens can be seen breathing rapidly and heavily, before breathing in their fists, and then passing out for a short period of time before getting back up again, seemingly fine.
But the teen lost consciousness after falling on the glass, and was assisted by his friends and family before paramedics arrived. He reportedly regained consciousness briefly before again collapsing.
He passed away at a hospital due to a deep cut to his carotid artery.
This is not the first time the ‘pass out’ game took a life. Back in 2010, the Daily News reported that an eleven-year-old boy died after playing the game alone and suffocating.
To contact the editor, e-mail: